Pt. Lobos Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have information on the history of regulating buddy teams at Lobos? I can understand limiting the number of divers to protect the resource. I assume the buddy team certification is the result of a lawsuit. :coffee:

Have any individuals or organizations campaigned for the acceptance of the Solo certification for dive teams of one? Even for non-solo divers it would ease the logistics of arranging dives in the park.

I think it has to do with the now retired head ranger/head diver who was
old-school. I've never heard about a lawsuit.

Remember, you don't need to name your buddy until you get to the gate.

The number of divers is limited by the amount of parking, not the
resource.

I think it has to do with the now retired head ranger/head diver who was
old-school. I've never heard about a lawsuit.

Remember, you don't need to name your buddy until you get to the gate.

The number of divers is limited by the amount of parking, not the
resource.

I thought really old school was pro solo diving, then solo became taboo in the "new" school of diving created by PADI, and now in 2009 we're back to solo being OK (for some).

I know that in Laguna beach since 1962 solo diving was illegal, then just in the last 2 years they dropped that law and you can do what you want again. Yay!! plus one for the self reliant people, minus one for the idiots.

Maybe they need to rethink Point Lobos so I can dive it someday.
I prefer to solo dive since I like to use my old archaic double hose regulator that some people claim will kill me. I cannot seem to find a buddy using my double hose because nobody knows how to buddy breathe off a double hose any more.

How can they regulate what you do underwater with a "buddy" anyway? What if the two divers go in together but get separated and come up at different times in different locations, do they give you a ticket? Do they give both parties a ticket or just the person making the reservation? How much is the fine? Do they kick you out permanently if you're caught solo diving?

I thought really old school was pro solo diving, then solo became taboo in the "new" school of diving created by PADI, and now in 2009 we're back to solo being OK (for some).

I know that in Laguna beach since 1962 solo diving was illegal, then just in the last 2 years they dropped that law and you can do what you want again. Yay!! plus one for the self reliant people, minus one for the idiots.

Maybe they need to rethink Point Lobos so I can dive it someday.
I prefer to solo dive since I like to use my old archaic double hose regulator that some people claim will kill me. I cannot seem to find a buddy using my double hose because nobody knows how to buddy breathe off a double hose any more.

How can they regulate what you do underwater with a "buddy" anyway? What if the two divers go in together but get separated and come up at different times in different locations, do they give you a ticket? Do they give both parties a ticket or just the person making the reservation? How much is the fine? Do they kick you out permanently if you're caught solo diving?

AFAICT, the only check is when you leave. They ask everyone to check out by name. I suually give the name of my buddy, but they don't insist you check out at the same time. So, once you get to the parking lot on the way in you're on your own, in my experience.

Guy

I've been told from someone that a ranger has approached and nearly chewed this person out for going solo after getting separated from a 3-person team.

So occasionally, someone is watching but I don't know if they can cite you; they might just warn and eventually ban.

Three of us met up for a weekday dive at Lobos. We completed our first dive and surfaced all together and then started heading back in. My buddies fining started off towards the opposite shore :confused: I put my reg in, head down in the water, and hit the trigger on my scooter towards the ramp. Made it back a good minute or two before them. As my friends were just coming out of the water, the older ranger (I believe Chuck?) comes over and points at them and says, "You and you are okay", but then pointing at me says "You are in trouble". Me "What did I do Sir?". He is reply "You were solo diving". Of course at this point my friends chimed in that we all dove together and came in at a slightly different time due to me using a scooter. I asked the ranger if he had seen me pop a bag as we ascended and he said no. If he was joking around he had me convinced, because he sounded very serious. We wound up chatting with him for probably 20 minutes laughing and having a good time. Even helped us out with a wrong key locked inside a vehicle.

I would say they take soloing very serious at Lobos judging from the rangers reaction.

The law is still on the books in Laguna Beach. The Marine Safety Officer said he would instruct the city lifeguards to allow solo diving and diving without a snorkel but a few divers have been stopped by lifeguards since then. I always duct tape a snorkel to the back of my tank for my bi-annual Laguna dive.

The law is still on the books in Laguna Beach. The Marine Safety Officer said he would instruct the city lifeguards to allow solo diving and diving without a snorkel but a few divers have been stopped by lifeguards since then. I always duct tape a snorkel to the back of my tank for my bi-annual Laguna dive.
OK, I stand corrected. Somehow I thought the law was repealed. Thanks Phil.

Knowing me and my attitude I would probably get one of those flexible snorkels and tie it up in the shape of a middle finger sticking up, then duct tape it to the back of my tank.

I was just at Laguna on T-Day morning. Opted to leave the snorkel behind it.. was my second dive there after returning from a dive on tuesday..was told the snorkel law is still in effect but there were no lifeguards.
It's a silly regulation..I don't get it?

<snip story>

I would say they take soloing very serious at Lobos judging from the rangers reaction.

Interesting. I wonder if there is any statutory basis for this, or if it's purely a matter of the ranger's whim.

Guy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom