Pt. Lobos Dive Report Saturday 17th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bogie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The weather was beautiful and sunny. The wave model was the best in many weekends. The parking lot at Pt. Lobos was quite full but we squeezed in.
Wow, what a beautiful place.

Our first dive was along the south reef. The kelp is starting to grow, so there was a bit of zigzagging on the surface swim. We dropped down at about 35 feet and headed out. Visibility was 40 feet or more. This was the best visibility I have ever had at Pt. Lobos. Surge was nice and gentle.

The surface light trickled through making the hydrocoral sparkle. I thought my dive buddy was shinning his light but no it was the flicker of sunlight. The pinks, reds, yellows, and blues of the hydrocoral were magic. We dove to 80 feet where we did our turn around and headed back up the sand channel. There was a small surge but it was an easy and pleasurable return. The exit was easy because it was high tide and they have recently power washed the ramp.

On the second dive we decided to do the middle reef. The surface waves and the surge were bit larger. We dropped down into the statuesque stone formations. Brilliant Hydrocoral, rockfish of various colors, and just being in the ocean was pure pleasure. We cruised out to 60 feet taking some pictures and just being in pure joy. The sunlight continued to give us a light show with sunlight twinkling on the brilliant ocean floor.

My dive buddy gave me the cold signal so I quickly turned around and headed back at good pace. I turned to check on him and he was looking into a crevasse. Just like when you try to walk with a 3 year old it becomes a journey with attention going in all directions. I thought gee, he could not be that cold. So I slowed down and starting exploring. I enjoy looking at the kelp reaching for the surface swaying in the surge. Quite striking. We got a full dive in and surfaced on the north side of the bay. Our surface swim was slightly long but very pleasurable. It is seal pup birthing time. There were many birthing mothers with only days old pups. Is there any thing cuter? One mother seal surfaced and then the baby pup climbed on her belly. It was charming to see a new life and a nurturing mother.

It was a wonderful day and a perfect dive.

I love diving.

Thanks for the report Bogie! Glad you enjoyed this spectacular weekend at Lobos.

We headed out Sunday at Lobos and -- ah was it ever Paradise!

Bogie,

I can relate to your beautiful, elegant report... I dove Monday, Lobos... :cool2:

Beautiful report! I love the color in Monterey diving -- I'm looking forward to getting back there next month.

Beautiful report! I love the color in Monterey diving -- I'm looking forward to getting back there next month.

We are looking forward to your visit :)!

Back
Top Bottom