Pt. Lobos, 3-24-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the convenience of having a fabric mask strap cover over my latex straps. It makes putting the mask on quicker, but still lets the straps stretch a bit (though less than without the cover). I've never tried an all fabric strap though...

Mike, I would recommend leaving the camera on shore for at least six months and working on skills. I have been doing so myself for over a year now. In fact take some real classes to learn these important skills properly. I am not talking about AOW, but much more intense training. Mask drills should be second nature with no mental reaction to being blinded. Every dive should have a drill of some kind. Sometimes mask drills, other times air shares or removing and stowing equipment. I still struggle with putting my wet notes away, but am getting better with practice. Pull your knife out then put it away. Do the same with your shears and other equipment. Pretty soon you will be comfortable with these tasks that currently are an issue. Counting on buddies is fine, but being able to be a great buddy is very important too. Everyone just wants to see you become a better diver and see you start posting how great your dives were :)

Mike G.

This is just my O2 worth......

One of the first things we learn in Open water class is that any diver at any time for ANY REASON can call a dive.

In my Opinion you should have called this dive, fixed the problem and then continued on with the dive.

Mike, I am not bashing you buddy, I am just curious as to why you didn't stop the dive and fix the problem??? Instead of letting it get you to the point of panic!

I tend to agree with you here Jim.

I can say from personal experience I have had times where I was too laz^H^H^H^H^H^H forgot to shave before diving. Next thing I know the mast is slightly leaking through the dive. Using a stop, think, act (sounds corny but after thinking about it thats what I really do) approach the 'leak' is manageable with my face crunch nose blow method :wink:. I should really patent that by the way :p. However I have had times while on the descent there was a leak usually due to the skirt being over my hood. When that happens I just signal my buddy that I need to go back up and deal with it, before we really even start the dive just so it doesnt wear me down over the course of the dive. Not to mention having to constantly clear a mask must mess with your SAC rate.

Mike-Ditch the slap strap..they suck! Get one of the neoprene ones that use the original strap underneath.

I agree with Hcat...just chill on the new gear for a bit? It sounds like you have some good stuff-new DS,BPW,Argon, just dive it and get your confidence back..
I have a new camera that I am itching to try..but having a new DS is enough for me right now.After diving wet for so long it is a big change? I like you got in the pool with Tony first at Nautilus which was great!

I do appreciate you sharing these mishaps..I think many people can learn and relate.

Drew

Mike-Ditch the slap strap..they suck! Get one of the neoprene ones that use the original strap underneath.

Personal opinion. I have the opposite opinion. I like the slap strap and think the add on pad sucks due to the twisting of the strap inside the pad.

Mike take these pieces of advice with a grain of salt and form your own opinion. Use what works for you. Like others have said. make additions slowly. Master each change before moving on. It sounds like I won't even recognize you since we dove together last. and that wasn't that long ago buddy.

See you on the 4th

Thanks to all that have given me good feedback on my incident. I have since played with my mask and adjusted the slap straps with my hood on. It fits tons better and has just the amount of tension to make a good seal.

I will be taking this mask to the pool for tryouts and see if she floods and then practice full mask removal. I will also take my SEADIVE mask which I dove on 2nd dive at Pt Lobos with me as well.

The SEADIVE mask makes a better seal than my Atomics, that is a given. However the Atomics is much more low profile than the SEADIVE, in case of a flooded mask the Atomics would clear quicker.

I want to fully practice on both mask and gain control of possible mishaps. Once again thanks for the feedback and yes Brewski you will not recognize me when we next dive, I'm not a tadpole anymore just a small frog trying to dive with all the Bull Frogs in the ocean... :)

MG

Thanks to all that have given me good feedback on my incident. I have since played with my mask and adjusted the slap straps with my hood on. It fits tons better and has just the amount of tension to make a good seal.

I will be taking this mask to the pool for tryouts and see if she floods and then practice full mask removal. I will also take my SEADIVE mask which I dove on 2nd dive at Pt Lobos with me as well.

The SEADIVE mask makes a better seal than my Atomics, that is a given. However the Atomics is much more low profile than the SEADIVE, in case of a flooded mask the Atomics would clear quicker.

I want to fully practice on both mask and gain control of possible mishaps. Once again thanks for the feedback and yes Brewski you will not recognize me when we next dive I'm not a tadpole anymore just a small frog trying to dive with all the Bull Frogs in the ocean... :)

MG

Mike - when you're practicing in the pool, bring both masks. Put one in your DS pocket, and practice switching underwater until the act of replacing / clearing the mask underwater becomes rote.

I love pool training, my LDS rents out their pool for 10 bucks. We go there all the time to shake down new gear, practice, and just get some wet time when we can't make it all the way to Monterey. Bring a buddy and your camera! Getting some good footage of you doing the drills will really give you an interesting perspective on what is actually going on.

You're on the right track to really enjoying some quality gear and diving!

I really like the neoprene strap covers. It makes donning / doffing a lot easier, especially with thick gloves.

I agree and purchased a neoprene strap cover for my SEADIVE mask. It was hard to rotate my SEADIVE from the back of my head to the front when we reached our drop point.

My thick gloves played a lot with the sticky thin latex straps. I like the way the neoprene strap is one whole piece that works better when you are shifting the mask forward off your neck to your face.

MG

p.s
I found this pic that Mike Mill took of me during the incident dive #1, you can see roughly the kelp on the far left is the one that I grabbed when the mask started to completely flood.

Mike's picture really shows you the amount of bubbles that are comming from my head as I have been fighting with the mask the entire dive.

nv8n4n.jpg

Theres different kinds of 'slap' straps. I didnt opt for the Velcro kind, but got the slightly easier to adjust clip style.

Back
Top Bottom