PT-EP05L - Detailed Housing Photos (from Japanese website)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Inside of unit
img_36.jpg

Unit with flash diffuser
img_28.jpg

And with (confirming, removable port options!!!! :D)

img_73.jpg

All come from here (google translated version) -

so all questions have been answered then..
there's a battery pack inside for the macro light,
and dome ports..

Correct me on this one,
see that pic with the flash diffuser.
i can see there's like a mount thread.
That is a good thing right since unlike epl1 housing where u need to have the adapter.
Now, if i stacked some closeup lens, wouldnt the stacked closeup lens will somehow block some light??
Then again it needs to be tested..

Hi Meyr,

I'm all new to underwater SLR type photography so I honestly don't know.

BUT I've just received my 9-18mm M.Zuiko in the post, now I know it will work with the housing :cool2: - alas got to wait til Dec for that :(

Meyr,

To answer some of your questions the housings for the E-PL3 and E-PM1 both have the 67mm thread on the front of the new port. If you stack two inon close-up lenses or add the +5/10 Reefnet close-up lens it is unlikely that the on board focusing lights will fall on you subject. I have a ring flash where the light is in the same position and the thick +10 Reefnet close-up lens blocks the light. Same with the stacked Inon 165-M67's. The cameras on board strobe has a guide number of 5 Meters at ISO100, the diffuser will reduce the light by another 1/2 to 1 stop of light and the port will block the light when shooting anything close to the port, E.G. macro.
By comparison the Inon S-2000 and Sea & Sea YS-01 have guide numbers of 20 meters at ISO 100.

Meyr,

To answer some of your questions the housings for the E-PL3 and E-PM1 both have the 67mm thread on the front of the new port. If you stack two inon close-up lenses or add the +5/10 Reefnet close-up lens it is unlikely that the on board focusing lights will fall on you subject. I have a ring flash where the light is in the same position and the thick +10 Reefnet close-up lens blocks the light. Same with the stacked Inon 165-M67's. The cameras on board strobe has a guide number of 5 Meters at ISO100, the diffuser will reduce the light by another 1/2 to 1 stop of light and the port will block the light when shooting anything close to the port, E.G. macro.
By comparison the Inon S-2000 and Sea & Sea YS-01 have guide numbers of 20 meters at ISO 100.

Thanx Phil, very well put..
So is it true that with this epl3 and its housing,
if i stacked some thick closeup lens, it will render the macro ring light useless?

Reminds me of the problem with the XZ1 where u cant fire the onboard flash in supermacro
cos oly said the flash will be blocked by the camera's lens...

_A063294.jpgWhat it will do is leave a dark spot in the center of the light ring. If you focus on somthing a 8 inches to a foot or so away it won't be a problem but as you move very close to your subject you will be focusing inside the dark hole. Remember that with a +10 diopter if minimum focus is say eight inches from the subject then when you add the +10 it will be at about four inches and the lights would be blocked by the C/U lens.

Look at just one Inon close-up lens attached to the light source, ring-flash. Now imagine the dark cone formed near the lens. I have used a white plastic slate to reflect the ring-light back onto the subject when I got to close.

Phil Rudin

Back
Top Bottom