Help with PT-EP05L Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I got, what I think, is a good deal on an old Olympus E-PL03 with a PT-EP05L housing. As both are about 10 years old there is not a lot of new information on them. The one thing that is really confusing me is the port. Apparently the PT-EP05 housing has a port with an integrated focus light. As a result of this lighting system it can only be used with the 14-42mm lens. Reading what I could find I think if I can get an older port from a PT--EP01 housing then I can use not only the 14-42mm lens but also the 60mm macro lens. Can anyone help me out with this and tell me if I'm reading things right? Are current ports not useable with the housing (although I understand current lenses are). If I do need the old port does anyone have one they want to let go of? Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know the specifics about that particular housing except that it was a weird attempt by Olympus to add a lighting feature. Does the inside of the housing look like the one on the PEN housing in this video?
If so, you can use all manner of AOI or Zen ports, as well as the Olympus flat port from other PEN housings.

Thank you for the link to the video. I never fails to amaze me that with the amount of time I spend on Backscatter’s website there is always stuff I don’t find. My housing has the screw on the inside. Apparently when my housing was made Olympus did not intend for it to be interchangeable so the did not address it in the manual. I did find numerous AOI ports available for my housing, also that I can use Panasonic lenses in addition to Olympus lenses. Appreciate the help.

Jon

So I got, what I think, is a good deal on an old Olympus E-PL03 with a PT-EP05L housing. As both are about 10 years old there is not a lot of new information on them. The one thing that is really confusing me is the port. Apparently the PT-EP05 housing has a port with an integrated focus light. As a result of this lighting system it can only be used with the 14-42mm lens. Reading what I could find I think if I can get an older port from a PT--EP01 housing then I can use not only the 14-42mm lens but also the 60mm macro lens. Can anyone help me out with this and tell me if I'm reading things right? Are current ports not useable with the housing (although I understand current lenses are). If I do need the old port does anyone have one they want to let go of? Any help would be appreciated.
I do not have 1st hand info about that particular model but I have EPL-2 and 7. EPL-7 came with a different port, shorter for pancakes and stock ports can be used interchangeably. I am mostly using EPL-2 stock port with EPL-7 because it works well with 60mm macro. So based on this experience I would say, your plan will probably work out fine.

Back
Top Bottom