PT-010 Production stopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I read on another forum site that the PT-010 is going to be stopped.

Apparently they are on their last production run now 60 odd units (this seems low to me).

So if this be true, people might want to invest in one now while you can still pick up the cheap 3040's and 4040's!!

I read the same thing. Last chance to put together a really nice rig.

Aren't they replacing it with the PT-015?

Is the PT 010 the same housing for the c4000? What will be the new housing for the c4000 be? I'm starting to get worried. I was going to wait until later on this summer before getting my housing.

jiveturkey once bubbled...
Is the PT 010 the same housing for the c4000? What will be the new housing for the c4000 be? I'm starting to get worried. I was going to wait until later on this summer before getting my housing.

Yeah the PT-010 fits the C-4000. I got one and I think its a great housing. I would say get it if you can a lot cheaper then a light and motion thats for sure.

jiveturkey once bubbled...

I suppose since they stopped production on the C-4040, they figure most people will buy the C-5050. Leaving the C-3040, C-4000 and others that fit the PT-10 as last choices.

So if you've already got a camera that needs a PT-10, best get one while they can still be found.

'Course, there's still Ikelite and Tetra!

heh heh, now that I use an Ikelite housing, my PT-010 is in my drawer, may be one day it will be worth more :D

Does anyone reading this post know of the ewa-marine housings for the Olympus C-4000? Much less $$$ than the PT-010. The DA is manufactured from double laminated PVC and has an optical glass port. Being bag like you lose some controls, but I'm a kayaker, and if I'm more than a meter underwater, I'm probably in a world of hurt. Info can be found at:

http://www.ewa-marine.de/English/e-start-photo.htm

If in fact they are stopping production on the PT-010, that's all the more reason to know how to take yours apart to service them unless of course you want to buy a new camera and housing.
I have used mine so much that on yesterday's dive I noticed the zoom control was not stopping when I let go of it. When I got home I took the zoom/shutter control knob apart. Very simple to do with a screwdriver and Hex wrench. Sure enough the stainless steel tensioner that sits under the plastic zoom control had split at the widest part of the loop. Fortunately this does not leave the housing unusable but does require me to keep my finger on the zoom control so as to be able to stop it. I doubt that part can be found anywhere but I will ask around.
I did grease the O ring on that control while I had it apart.The entire control drops down inside the housing when loose. I plan on putting up the instructions on my website in the near future of how to take the PT-010 apart to clean and lube the tiny O rings. The repair tech at my LDS is confident she has all those O rings.
:shades:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom