PST vs Faber: Which ones is better and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hambleto

Club Web Master
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,
I am hoping you can help me here. I am curious to find out what is the difference between Faber steel tanks and PST. I know that PST are hot dipped and tend to be heavier. They are supposed to hold up better in salt water. What are the advantages to each and disadvantages? I would be looking into doubling them up. I was looking in the Low pressure about 95cf per tank range. Any advice, opinions, and personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Ben

The Faber 95s are painted, which isn't as durable a finish as the galvanized PST's. PST also doesn't make low pressure 95's anymore.. they make a very similar tank that's rated to 3442 psi and holds 119cf instead.

Faber's can be found very cheaply ($190 new) in the Hot Deals section of The Deco Stop.

IMHO it is a matter of what type of diving you are doing. The finish on the Fabers I have not had any issue with, you do need to care for them more religiously if you are diving in salt water though ie. solid fresh water rinse at the end of the day. I have the faber 108's, pst 104's, & E130 (same cu. ft. as old 104 @ the same preasure) The fabers are by far the least negative when full. The E series are by far the most negative with the old 104's in the middle. I do a lot of staging in fresh water and can handle many more full stages with the fabers than the pst's. When I am in the ocean though with full thermals & dry suit for cold water I need to carry lead to be negative with near empty tanks for the fabers. I don't have a steel back plate only aluminium and could probably solve it with a SS back plate, I find it cheaper and easier just to throw some lead on though since I don't do a lot of ocean diving anymore. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Bobby

I own manifolded Faber 98's. I love the bouancy characteristics. The exterior cosmetic paint surface does mar, so you'll have to do the occasional touch up. Under the paint is the galvonized surface. If you penetrate this, you'll get rust. I haven't had any problems, but I keep them rinsed and touched up when needed.

I just used a set of doubled Faber 108's a couple of days ago. Same bouyancy, but quite a bit heavier. The 98's with an overfill will give you 244cf. Plenty for most divers.

XTC a Canadian company will be making a new series of "X" tanks that will be the same size and characteristics of the new E-series PSTs which are very hard to find. PST is having some problems. Faber has changed their US distributor and will also be hard to find.

They are white, but it is newer triple epoxy that is pretty durable. Convertible Thermo valves. Price about the same. Should be out the first of the year.

I've had a couple of Fabers for years without problems or extra maintenance. I have netting on them.

Jack

My understanding is that Faber has formed it's own import/distribution comapny called Blue Steel and that they will handle distribution directly. In the past the fabers have been availaible from Sea Pearls and XS Scuba.

Blue Steel is run by the same person who designed the E-Series tanks for PST and Blue Steel will be selling tanks with the same specs as the E-Seres in 2005.

To date no website exists for blue steel and the Faber site is confusing at best.

pgdive:
My understanding is that Faber has formed it's own import/distribution comapny called Blue Steel and that they will handle distribution directly. In the past the fabers have been availaible from Sea Pearls and XS Scuba.

Blue Steel is run by the same person who designed the E-Series tanks for PST and Blue Steel will be selling tanks with the same specs as the E-Seres in 2005.

To date no website exists for blue steel and the Faber site is confusing at best.

I hope they don't go the route of PST and basically market an LP as a HP with the HP caricterstecs. I like the bouyancy carictersitics of the fabers as they are. Sorry for the mispellings but I am getting tired and don't want to take the time to correct.

I have a set of double 98 fabers and a set of double 119 e series PST I really don't have much effects when going from one to the others. The PSt are a longer cylinder but other then that same same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom