PST vs Faber: Which ones is better and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgdive:
My understanding is that Faber has formed it's own import/distribution comapny called Blue Steel and that they will handle distribution directly. In the past the fabers have been availaible from Sea Pearls and XS Scuba.

Blue Steel is run by the same person who designed the E-Series tanks for PST and Blue Steel will be selling tanks with the same specs as the E-Seres in 2005.

To date no website exists for blue steel and the Faber site is confusing at best.

All the above is true, but also Sea Pearls and XS Scuba have joined forces and working with Worthington Cylinders to create a new line of SCUBA cylinders. The new cylinders are divided into two categories: the LP-Series and the X-Series™. The LP Series will be available in January 2005. These are DOT and TC (Transport Canada) approved cylinders with a working pressure of 2400+ psi (2640 psi). The LP–Series will be available in 85, 95, 108 and 121 cubic foot capacities.
The X-Series™ is scheduled for release in April 2005. These tanks are manufactured with a patented high strength steel alloy creating the ultimate weight to capacity ratios. These cylinders will have a working pressure of 3442 psi. The X-Series™ cylinders will be available in five sizes including 80, 100, 119, 120 and 130 cubic foot capacities.

I have a set of twin PST lp120s and two Faber lp95s. I love the 120s for wreck diving. Plentiful gas and no weightbelt. One of my Fabers rusted like an old buick, so I broke up the set and use the other one, which is also rusty but not as bad, for single tank dives. I put an H-valve on it so I can still use the same reg configuration as the 120s. I make about one single tank dive each year. :D

Back in the seventies I dove with Divators, no weight belt, as they were negative like no other. I also wore a Unisuit. On one of my last dives in an Unisuit at 230 feet on air with no BC (in those days an Unisuit was your BC) I became extremely aware of the beach ball size bubble in my Unisuit needed to maintain some semblance of buoyancy control. I came to the quick realization the if something went wrong I could not make it back to the surface/deco bottles. It was at this point I re-thought my equipment and dumped the Uni for a DUI crushed neoprene suit and a Zeagle Ranger BC.

My point in all of this is no weight belt sounds great until for some reason you lose your ability to go positive. Weight belts do serve a purpose. Most submersibles use drop weights for the same reason.

I dive Faber 95's as a set of doubles. SS backplate, no weight belt. I do primarily ocean diving and have had no problem with the tanks. I find them quite a bit lighter out of the water and do not need the extra negative properties of PST in the water. There is a difference in the length of the tanks and if you are tall, you may prefer the longer PST 104's.

Jerry

Hi Jack:

Do you have any contact information for XTC?

Thanks, Andy
Aquatic Discount Scuba
adssupply@aol.com
Escalon, CA

jackconnick:
XTC a Canadian company will be making a new series of "X" tanks that will be the same size and characteristics of the new E-series PSTs which are very hard to find. PST is having some problems. Faber has changed their US distributor and will also be hard to find.

They are white, but it is newer triple epoxy that is pretty durable. Convertible Thermo valves. Price about the same. Should be out the first of the year.

I've had a couple of Fabers for years without problems or extra maintenance. I have netting on them.

Jack

Isn't the question just academic if you cannot get one of the two makes mentioned? True, brand A might be preferred over brand B BUT if A can't be had, one either has to do without or find a way to make B work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom