Pst Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajaxord

Registered
Reaction score
Just returned from the Great Lakes Ghost Ship Convention and Expo where I had the opportunity to visit the PST booth. I picked their brain on why there is such a shortage on steel cylinders. Here is their story.

1. Shortage of steel made from iron ore.

Their cylinders cannot be made from recycled steel and most mills are producing steel not from ore but from recycled steel. China demand for ore and ore produced steel has made material availability tight. This has subsided and production is back on line.

2. Mill production runs.

Because the alloy cylinders are made of a unique alloy with unique tempering, but the demand for this alloy is relatively low, mills are reluctant to run this alloy as it is time consuming for small lots as well as not a continuous process. PST suggested they have a good source for the necessary alloy plate steel.

3. City of West Allis, WI

The city of West Allis has been salivating for the land PST's plant is on. So much so they went forward with condemning the land in attempts to force PST out. PST sued the city of West Allis for due process. The judge sided with PST. At this point PST has decided to sell their property to West Allis and relocate.

The bottom line is they are stating backorders for cylinders will be filled by late March early April and will start building inventory from there on out. That being said they also have an MSRP for E-7 120 HPs at $400/cylinder. They admit retail prices are somewhat inflated at the moment due to lack of supply, but anticipate prices will decrease as more inventory enters the channel.

Other tidbits:

As far as differences between Faber and PST, same material, same manufacturing process-deep draw of cold steel alloy spun to make the finished neck diameter.

If you stamp anything below the crown of a cylinder it is considered damaged and not suitable for use.

Don't look for "+" stamps to be appearing on new cylinders any time soon. Approving for over fill is going away even though you will all be doing it anyway.

What did I pay at the show for a new E-7 120 lbs. HP...$325. Data point for all you shoppers.

-A

Thanks for your update. Ok, let's be patient until March
biggrin.gif

Aerodog:
Wow, "120 lbs.", that must be the new Heavy Package (HP) model they announced this year. :) Good price though.

I knew I shouldn't have traded and filled two 5 lb. CO2 bottles for my kegerator on the same day I bought a new scuba cylinder. Either that or lay off some of the kegerator's juice. Correction: 120 CF.

-A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom