PST Steel 100 CF (102 CF) Tanks - Good or Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the DOT exemption documents through the following link:

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/SPA_App/OfferDocuments/SP9791_2007060054.pdf

Thanks to scubafanatic for reminding me about The Deco Stop as that's where I found out about PHMSA - Home where you can search for DOT exemptions. It appears to expire on May 31, 2011 so I've got to worry about getting hydros after that date.

Also, I just tried to call PST (Pressed Steel Tank Co., Inc.; PST; compressed natural gas; alternate fuels;natural gas vehicle; SCUBA; accumulators; acetylene; aviation cylinders; seamless shells; presses; industrial gas cylinders; oxygen; carbon dioxide; nitrogen; CO2; chlorine; r) and their numbers are disconnected. Are they still in business? I've read a lot of threads that say they aren't still in business so just trying to get that confirmed...

....as last I heard, and it was a while back, that all the PST tooling/stamping machinery was bought by a South Korean company, the machinery was to be shipped to South Korea where the tanks were to be stamped, then the tanks were to be shipped back to the USA for hot dipping/final finishing at the US PST facility......however, I haven't heard anything since, it is my impression that this 'plan' sank without a trace.....I haven't really followed the PST saga for a while now.....your best clues are check in @ thedecostop from time to time, and/or PM/e-mail those divers 'over there' who seem to have the inside track on the situation.

Thanks, I'll put up a post over there and see what they say. On their posts back in 2003 and 2005 they weren't too concerned about the tanks but now less than two years from the expiration of the DOT exemption, I'm a little concerned.

Thanks again!!

About a month ago I went to their site and it was MIA and it looks like the domain has been pulled from the DNS so they look pretty down and cold as a commercial brand.

This saga has been unfolding since I got into the sport 5 years ago. The process as I understand it is that anyone can apply to have the exemption renewed. The application is checked against the records and if cylinders have not been blowing up they renew it. Renewal does not require any sort of re-validation of the design or other technical endeavor. That being said if worse comes to worse and that may now be the case it should be a minor blip once somebody sends in a form.

Those more informed are encouraged to correct me on this but this is what I recall gathering from reliable sources.

Pete

I've been looking at two PST Steel 100 CF (102 CF actual size) 3500 psi tanks which are galvanized and appear to be in pretty good condition. I've heard a few different things that PST 100 tanks might not be good tanks for one reason or another but haven't heard exactly why they might not be good tanks to own. Can anybody give me some insight?

Thanks!!

It's simply an issue of locating a hydro facility in your area or region who is knowledegable of the PST pre-strecthing bulletin and wants to play ball. There are several in S Florida but that's quite a drive. I am surprised no one in your region has not chimed yet in with this assitance. :idk:

I've got PST HP 3442 80s and 100s. My LDS assures me that their hydro tester is familiar with PST hydro protocols. A number of them have been through hydros and passed just fine. Personally, at the right price, I'd pick up some used ones in a minute.

But new, the XS/Worthingtons are the way to go.

I own one of the older "102" tanks and would love to have a second one. Have had both the E7-100 and the older model in the water and the older has better buoyancy characteristics. OK, now the discussion just got religious ... bottom line is they're great tanks and if you can find one for $200 or less then snarf it up and don't look back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom