PST...From the "Horse's Mouth."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realdiver7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This thread is closely related to the thread "PST closing?" on this board, but I decided to post it separately because I think today's findings are very important, especially in regards to the PST DOT E9791 exemption renewal.

I was very fortunate to be given the opportunity to have a 3-way conference call today with a DOT official and an official from PST. I decided to go straight to sources to get the info. DOT has already received 9 phone calls today, and PST has also received many calls regarding their business status, and the status of their DOT E9791 exemption renewal. DOT and PST have actually read the "PST Closing?" thread here on ScubaBoard, and PST has already responded with a public statement in a link in that thread.

I'm withholding the names of the officials I spoke with because I don't think it would be fair to them to receive thousands of additional phone calls from ScubaBoard members regarding the same topic. Both officials were very friendly, professional, knowledgeable, courteous, and accomodated all of my questions and concerns in a very positive and to the point manner.

This is merely my understanding of the conversation, and I do not pretend to make representations or statements for either party. To make a long story short...

1. PST intends to move to another location. They have no intention of closing. Let's hope this is what happens.

2. PST may submit an exemption renewal application to DOT this week or next week, even though the application is not due for quite some time (I think it has to be submitted 60 days prior to expiration?). The current exemption expires in Jan. 2006.

3. Exemptions are effective for 2 years, but they may be approved for 4 years in the near future.

4. Exemptions may be applied for electronically via computer in order to expedite the process.

5. Without a current DOT exemption, tanks cannot be filled, no matter when they were purchased. I doubt shops would be able to hydro or VIP them either.

6. In the event an exemption is not renewed, individuals who already own tanks may apply for their own ("non-manufacturer's") exemption, which is good for 2 years (maybe 4 years in the near future). This sounds good, and please don't take my word for it because I may have misunderstood, but contact DOT if this ever becomes a relevant reality. Costs and procedures were not discussed.

I hope the info I have given here is accurate, and it is to the best of my memory and understanding. If anyone has additions or corrections to any of this, I hope you will let us all know.

I own 4 PST 3442 psi tanks ($985 worth) that are either brand new, or almost new, so I have the same concerns that many others have about the DOT E9791 exemption. The conference call shed some light on the situation for me, and eased my worries some. I hope PST will move forward and succeed just as they told me they have planned to do. Let's just hope for the best! I hope this helps all of you who have the same concerns that I do.

Safe diving!

Thanks for posting, my 2 PST E7-100 are too young to retire.

No problem...just trying to ease the anxiety. The same anxiety I've been feeling lately. (Notice I didn't say the word "panic.").

Mine are way too young to retire also!

Thanks for your post.... It is very informative thread to PST tank users....

Thanks for the time and trouble! I have two brand new E-7 as well!

realdiver7, if you need info on their current state of affairs, PM me.

There seems to be much concern over the PST E-series tanks. Are there also exemptions on the Aquaaire Sport tanks (older style HP tanks) that are in jeopordy should PST fail to get the financing and cease operations?

Tom Winters:
All my LP Fabers and Worthingtons are looking just so fine these days...
Was that a "neener, neener, neener" post? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom