Pseudoephedrine alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use Sudafed before every day of diving because I have a tendency to get sinus squeezes (never any problems with ear clearing). About 2 weeks before my last trip I started doing the neilmed sinus rinse twice a day. It made a big difference. I didn’t need to use Sudafed at all during that trip and never suffered a squeeze. I would recommend giving it a shot!

BRT......the op asked for alternatives. it only makes sense to try and understand why they feel they need to take a medication prior to diving before offering what might be a valid option don't you think ?

i also have used sudafed. i certainly do not use it before every dive though. but it has helped when i needed it.

i also would be interested in reading alternatives, as using any meds should be avoided if at all possible in my opinion. sudafed in particular has been linked to possibly causing a higher susceptibility to O2 toxicity.

BRT......the op asked for alternatives. it only makes sense to try and understand why they feel they need to take a medication prior to diving before offering what might be a valid option don't you think ?

i also have used sudafed. i certainly do not use it before every dive though. but it has helped when i needed it.

i also would be interested in reading alternatives, as using any meds should be avoided if at all possible in my opinion. sudafed in particular has been linked to possibly causing a higher susceptibility to O2 toxicity.
Sure. Try some other things.

Some of us take it daily for allergies (Zytec-D in my case) - under doc’s orders. Add Flonase on diving days.

Some of us take it daily for allergies (Zytec-D in my case) - under doc’s orders. Add Flonase on diving days.

I've been lucky Flonase has basically beaten down my seasonal allergies. I went from having to take pseudoephedrine for a week straight a couple times of year, to not having to use it altogether. I still use Afrin before dives to clear my sinuses, as sometimes my nose runs during a dive causing a reverse block.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom