Pseudoephedrine alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Ra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I usually take a pseudoephedrine capsule before every dive and I was wondering if it is possible to find something similar in mexican pharmacies. I still have some from my last trip to Indonesia, but I was thinking of refilling my supplies. Pseudoephedrine seems to be banned here, however, do you know a good alternative?

There are none.

Dimegan-D is an allergy medicine that I know is available at Mexico pharmacies. Not sure how effective it is, as I use nasal sprays.

Diamegan-D = Loratiding (Claritan) and Phenylephrine. Neither is nearly as good for nasal congestion unless allergies are a major component of your issues.

Phenylephrine hydrochloride is the "decongestant" in that.

Diamegan-D = Loratiding (Claritan) and Phenylephrine. Neither is nearly as good for nasal congestion unless allergies are a major component of your issues.
The study of 539 adults lasted one week and failed to find a dose of phenylephrine within the 10 mg to 40 mg range that was more effective than a placebo in relieving nasal congestion. The approved Food and Drug Administration (FDA) dose is 10 mg every four hours for “temporary relief of nasal congestion.”

Consequently, the UF researchers are asking the FDA to remove oral phenylephrine from the market.

“We think the evidence supports that phenylephrine’s status as a safe and effective over-the-counter product should be changed,” said Randy Hatton, Pharm.D., a clinical professor of pharmacotherapy and translational research. “We are looking out for the consumer, and he or she needs to know that science says that oral phenylephrine does not work for the majority of people.”

Hello,

I usually take a pseudoephedrine capsule before every dive

can you pls tell us why you feel you need to do this ?

can you pls tell us why you feel you need to do this ?
Chris is not the only one. I have sinus issues too. One story was when my ENT was looking in my nose and goes "that is extremely cool", she was watching my sinus swell in front of her eyes. I do not need the same happening on a dive. And once I had a reverse squeeze, and it sucks!!!

I have issues with the maxillary nerves being so close to my teeth and my upper sinus has a spot that gets a squeeze(this is common but forgot the terminology).

If you have sinus issues, consider nasal saline rinses and starting on nasal steroids. Discuss that with a physician or ENT if you feel uncomfortable with going it alone. The stuff is OTC now. (Hey, what do I know, internet advice, right?) Most common side effect is burning and bleeding, usually minor.
Afrin will get you through 2-3 days, then you 'crash', and need a break for a day or 2.

If it's primarily clearing, the above can help but not on an immediate basis. It'll take 1-2 weeks. During that time research clearing methods and practice a LOT.

If you have sinus issues, consider nasal saline rinses and starting on nasal steroids. Discuss that with a physician or ENT if you feel uncomfortable with going it alone. The stuff is OTC now. (Hey, what do I know, internet advice, right?) Most common side effect is burning and bleeding, usually minor.
Afrin will get you through 2-3 days, then you 'crash', and need a break for a day or 2.

If it's primarily clearing, the above can help but not on an immediate basis. It'll take 1-2 weeks. During that time research clearing methods and practice a LOT.
Or use Sudafed, which actually works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom