Proud dad of my new dive buddy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much for responding and pointing out these facts. I was going to respond and state that I do not encourage or condone younger children to dive even if training agencies allow it but decided that somebody like you should respond. Personally, I don't accept anyone under the age of 15 in my diver training program for many reasons but especially for what you have mentioned above and also because of maturity levels. Dr. Larry Harris Taylor wrote several articles many years ago when the debate concerning allowing children to dive was going on and he was against it. As much as I want my teenage son to learn to dive, I won't have him or pressure him into doing it until he is at least 15 years old and he is the one that says he wants to do it.
I was waiting for this thread to get to the point of kids diving. I agree with both Burhan and the Doc. I'm not a Dr., but have taught school Band many years to students age 11 up to 18, mostly 11-13. I have had some extremely "mature" 11-13 year old students over this time, including my two step daughters. I would not want to see any of them on scuba at that age. I don't have the medical knowledge of course, but can easily see the difference in brain development compared to older kids and adults. I can easily see kids that young being more prone to panic. I think of my own state of mind at that age and know doing scuba then would've been risky for me. At 15, I THINK I would've been pretty much OK. Having taught 15 years olds, I know some of them would be more at risk than adults as well, but I agree with Burhan that 15 is a good age to consider starting scuba.
As I've said in the past, I don't think it's a matter of very young kids being able to do and comprehend the academics and practicals of scuba diving. It's a matter of what happens if things go sideways. I always bring up the side issue that a parent and child can both be certified in the same course, then dive independently as buddies--on dive 1 after OW. That to me is scary.
Again along with what Burhan says, I also don't think parents should be persuaded by the child to let him/her start so young. I'm addressing the issue in general, not the OP. Some parents have said on SB that they don't want to say "no" if the kid is incredibly interested in scuba. But, there are many things a youngster has to wait to do until older, driving a car being one. Any you know every 14 year old can't wait to do that (well, I didn't care, but I'm weird). The answer to this is a whole lot of teen/pre-teen snorkeling. Really would help when starting scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom