Protune WB Raw GoPo 3 Black Production Color Editing Balance: Before and After

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Impressive. I've never had much luck color correcting video from those depths w/o filter. Using the WB pick tool didn't cut it in those situations. The app goes kinda crazy trying to correct and it just looks way off. Even manually adjusting I can't get good results. That software suite does a good job. I just can't afford to buy anymore software so its red filter for me. If I were to dabble more with the color wheels in Premiere maybe I could do something but my system right now of red filter/ WB picker is working quite well for me.

Next time I shoot some UW video I'll use the free trial and check it out.

Impressive. I've never had much luck color correcting video from those depths w/o filter. Using the WB pick tool didn't cut it in those situations. The app goes kinda crazy trying to correct and it just looks way off. Even manually adjusting I can't get good results. That software suite does a good job. I just can't afford to buy anymore software so its red filter for me. If I were to dabble more with the color wheels in Premiere maybe I could do something but my system right now of red filter/ WB picker is working quite well for me.

Think you are spot on. At 90fsw without a filter, you don't get the deep blue and pop like with a CY filter, But at 40fsw there is something to work with but not 90. Look at this: URPro CY filter protune off video at ~90 fsw. Seems the filter is the way to go. I need to see if I have some with both Protune WB raw and a CY filter at 90 fsw. Would be nice to see but protune really slows down rendering.
[video=youtube_share;nPzI9-BtvxQ]http://youtu.be/nPzI9-BtvxQ[/video]

Think my buddy Brad, snuck up behind me with the shark caller and brought the shark right up to my face

Are you shooting in WB Raw? I'm finding the new cineform studio 2.0 to be pretty decent and editing clips. It lacks a lot in compilation and further tuning though. But as I said, white balancing the individual clips seems spot on with the colour picker.

While this would need two cameras to do, a better comparison would be the gopro in Protune off vs Protune on + post editing.

Are you shooting in WB Raw? I'm finding the new cineform studio 2.0 to be pretty decent and editing clips. It lacks a lot in compilation and further tuning though. But as I said, white balancing the individual clips seems spot on with the colour picker.

While this would need two cameras to do, a better comparison would be the gopro in Protune off vs Protune on + post editing.
Yes I use protune and WB Raw. With a Red filter, the color picker on cineform studio 2.0 is pretty damn good. But I tried a clip at around 50 ft deep or so with no red filter and the color picker couldn't do it. The tint and temp adjustments maxed out in opposite directions and the colors where off. I tried moving the sliders around on my own, no good. Cineform simply can't compensate for that great of a lack of reds IMO.

If you look at the clip that starts at 1:38 on this video, it's off, too blue. The fish would have come out worse but I had lights on. I tried with the color picker and manual but no matter how much I tried to get the sand and background to look normal it didn't. That was at a depth of 50-70'.

[video=vimeo;75675345]http://vimeo.com/75675345[/video]

Great video, all done with a GoPro. Very cool.

I don't quite know what you are talking about but I feel that the video is very high quality! What settings do you shoot at?

Great video, all done with a GoPro. Very cool.

I don't quite know what you are talking about but I feel that the video is very high quality! What settings do you shoot at?
I have no complaints about the GoPro's video quality, it's spectacular. What I can't accomplish is good color correcting at depth without a red filter but I always use the filter unless i'm using my lights.

My settings are 1080/60, Protune and WB Raw.

What would be a big plus on the next GoPro is image stabilization and better battery life. Of course a zoom lens and auto/manual focus would be bad either. I'm sure they will include higher res frame rates but I think improving/adding on the cameras functions would be a better idea than simply higher and higher res.

I really don't think they'll do that as the gopro wasn't designed with the hand held user in mind. It is meant to be mounted in a fixed location, to capture those memorable experiences.

You've inspired me to dig out my red filter. I've got the SRP one.

Does anyone know of a green water filter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom