Protection in 25C?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
i have a question. would wearing my jacket (from the two piece suit)and a hood be warm enough in 25*C water? the whole suit is an aquata 2 piece suit but the overalls (don't know the "diving" name for it) are tight on the knees. should i buy a hood or try to fix the knees? i was given a suggestion to cut it into a shorty.. this suit looks well made, i don't want to ruin it

Jay

Just a jacket and hood would probably work for short dives, but even 25C water is pretty cold after 40 or 50 minutes, particularly if you are just poking along taking it easy rather than vigorously swimming. The right amount of thermal protection varies a lot from person to person. I find that a 5mm full wetsuit + a beanie (partial hood that just covers top of head) is enough for 25C. While some will use just a shorty, or even just a jacket in 25C/77F water, that doesn't work for me.

Perhaps you could stretch the knee area by stuffing some rags or an large bottle up into that knee area overnight.

You could just go diving with it, but that's not a good idea if the wetsuit is so tight in the knees that it affects your lower leg circulation.

For tropical water diving I have a shorty 3mm, a full length 5mm, a 3mm hood and a full length lycra "skin" which I use in various combinations from 17C to 30C.
At 25C I would say that I could use my lycra skin under my shorty, hood, gloves and boots and I would probably not get too cold even on 60min dives.
I would probably look ridiculous but this is in fact what I wear when doing night dives in warmer water when I want full body coverage.
Probably if you got a lycra with a colour that matched your wet suit it would not look too bad. A lycra is much cheaper than a new wet suit.

Back
Top Bottom