Protection for wrist seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKRacing

Reaction score
I think this is a new one or at least hope it is. I was inquiring if anyone has any ideas for protecting the latex wrist seals of a dry-suit. The question stems from lobster hunting where a person may be reaching into or under rocks etc in the attempt of catching a bug. The DUI wrist seals are exposed and I do not want anyting to happen to them. Of course there is the option of going back to the wet-suit for bug hunting but why? Just some thoughts.

off the cuff here (pardon the pun) but you could get neoprene sheathes and put them over the wrist seals. Never came accross this problem before so its a n usual solution. You can either buy the sheathes or just cut up old wet suits if you have one in bits lying around.

Otherwise change the seals to neoprene wrist seals :(

Akonas makes a great gauntlet style glove that covers the whole seal.

If you get the urge to install the Diving Concepts compressed neoprene drygloves, the rings themselves will afford some protection to the seal (though nothing protects the rings)...

BUT

...Don't use the gloves when bug hunting. Go back to the normal kevlar gloves that you're probably using now.

I made the above mistake and the first bug I grabbed cut and flooded the glove. The CN gloves are very nice, and when used without the liners afford better mobility and comparable insulation to the blue "smurf" gloves, but they are not extremely durable.
The seal is still there so my arm was dry, but I ended up buying a second set of gloves.

OMS makes a pair of what they call "drygloves". I've used them with my DUI suit and while I didn't find them to be exactly dry....they are significantly warmer than regular neoprene gloves. The main plus is that they have a very long cuff to them that zippers up the side and the palms are Kevlar re-inforced. They offer great protection over the wrist seals and afford some protection of the sleeve as well.

I have a new pair of these OMS gloves that have NEVER been used. They are a little too thich for me. If anyone wants them let me know and I'll sell them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom