Protecting my new Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already have the plastic film on my screen. After much deliberation, I have decided that I would have to craft my own protective guard for the body out of some industrial padded fabric that goes over the computer when I am just about ready to exit the water but I can still push down when I am diving. It will have a hole in it so it just slides down the hose when it is not in use. Maybe I have a new invention in the making??????????????

Minipinny:
I just recently purchaseed my brand new spanking Oceanic Pro Plus II computer guage and am worried about it getting banged up and destroyed by the carelessness of others when I pass my BCD and reg up to them after I am done with my boat dive. I have seen this happen with my buddy's computer as I watched it get tossed onto the deck floor by whoever who was helping him out. ... I called up Oceanic ... and I was told that they had no such thing but a front grill ...

In a thread about 'most regretted' gear purchases, respondents mentioned air-only computers, computers with hard to read displays, and console computers instead of wrist mounted units. Well, you just got a really nice one, with nitrox capability, BIG display, and air integration (not essential but a nice feature), so you probably won't want to hear us say, 'Gee, why didn't you get a wrist mount and avoid this issue?' :wink:

So, I would definitely go with the grill to protect the display in any event, and I would find a way to add a clip to the console with some cave line or O-rings and a tie wrap, and clip the console off to the BC when I got to the surface, before handing it up. Although most of the coastal NC dive doats have stern platforms for the diver to ascend to with all their gear on (sans fins, of course), there are also several really good 6 pacs, where we 'disrobe' at the surface and hand our rig up, so your situation is not unheard of. A careful DM or captain won't let your gear get damaged. But, I agree with the pre-dive meeting idea. Most good divers should know enough to be careful with their own gear and with the gear of others, but having a periodic reminder isn't bad.

Colliam7:
In a thread about 'most regretted' gear purchases, respondents mentioned air-only computers, computers with hard to read displays, and console computers instead of wrist mounted units. Well, you just got a really nice one, with nitrox capability, BIG display, and air integration (not essential but a nice feature), so you probably won't want to hear us say, 'Gee, why didn't you get a wrist mount and avoid this issue?'
Colliam7:
:wink:

When I did my Computer Certification training, the DS gave me a wrist mounted computer to use. Because I dove with a dry suit and at the time I was wearing the rental BCD, I couldn't even read the display screen. My arm apparently is too short and the air bladder of the bcd restricted my ability to swing my arm around to the front so I could read the computer. I thought that it's pretty silly to have a computer you can't even read when you need to read it under water. I choose the Oceaic Pro Plus II for it's big display
icon1.gif
which I love. But thanks for thinking about it for me.
icon14.gif

Back
Top Bottom