Protecting Equipment during Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captnpat1982

Contributor
Reaction score
Beaumont, Texas "The Right Side of Texas"
# of dives
25 - 49
I am now the proud owner, thanks to my bride, of a new BCD, reg/octo and computer.

I have always rented up to this point.

I would like to know the best way to protect this equipment while traveling? To Carry-on or Check.

What is the best way to protect the computer? I have some old well padded golf club covers that can slip over the unit.

Please help an old fart who is not experienced in this area.

I carry-on my computer (wrist type), regulator, mask, and compass. That way I don't have to worry about that stuff. Everything else goes in the dive suitcase. Of course, I also carry-on all my underwater camera equipment, too.

I carry-on mask, regs and computer (mine's a watch style) If yours is a small console, they sell things like this: XS Scuba Console Cover | LeisurePro

However you'll notice the similarity to your idea....actually one of those knit puffy golf club covers might be a better idea. I'll have to remember that since I have a couple somewhere.

I pack regs loose in my carry-on. I suppose you could pad them so they don't scratch other things in your bag. It's never been a problem for me. And I only fly to dive.

My BC gets checked since it's too large to fit in my carry-on. I sometimes put the inflator inside the jacket so it's protected. And since most of my clothes go in there also, it's never been damaged.

I pack my regs and computer (detachable AI Cobra) inside of my wetsuit and roll it up like that. Then I put that inside my BC and fold the sides up around that. And that goes into a checked bag along with all of my other gear. I have not yet had any problems with damage or theft. If I take any redundant wrist computers those go in my carry on. B.

I pack all my gear other the computer (watch so I wear it) into one of my pelican cases. Last thing I pack I a pistol ( flare guns work too ). This way I get to lock my case with a real lock and airlines don't lose guns. This only works if I'm flying in the states and where I'm following all the laws. I fly mostly to Florida and I have my case done to 48lbs so I'm not over weight. I have to make sure my gear is very dry on the way home.

My regs and computer always go in my carry-on. I work in the business and these are by far and away the two most valuable pieces of equipment I possess, both in terms of monetary value and professional usage. I can always rent a BCD or a mask (even though I would of course dearly wish to have my own beloved mask with me!) but I want neither of those things to be damaged or get lost by an airline baggage mis-handler. The BCD, Suit, Fins etc, properly packed, will come to little harm, but the regs and the computer stay with me.

Incidentally, several friends/colleagues and customers have mentioned that they have worn their BCD onto the plane as a "jacket" so save on excess baggage charges and none of them have ever been turned away....

Cheers

C.

Dive caddy. Problem solved.

if not, I would still carry everything on. The only pieces of gear that get checked are my wife's bc (due to size) and maybe fins (due to length).

I carry on my laptop, kindle, cameras, computers, lights, mask, compass, meds, earplugs and xanax. They are the valuables and if my bag is delayed everything else can be rented. My other gear gets packed in a duffel with the wetsuit and clothing acting as padding.

The things I cannot do without stay with me: mask with prescription glasses and my camera(which is also staying with me because of its monetary value and the computer. Other than that was is carried on depends on weight issues. So most often the reg is carried on to, because mine is metal and sort of heavy.

As with most others, I carry on mask, regs, computer and lights. These are the most expensive items and the items likely to cause the most inconvenience were they to go missing. I only travel to dive. Everything else just goes in the checked in bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom