Protecting Equipment during Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My apologies to the Moderator who had to move my question.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have a console computer which came all attached to the BCD. I need to learn how to detach it for travel (told you I was a newbe and proud of it) and put it and regs in with the camera. Now I need a bigger carry-on bag.

Maybe I could Fed-ex like they do golf clubs? Na - the Federalies would probably confiscate it. LOL

I carry on my computer and mask. I place my regulator inside of my BC, cinch it down with the cummerbund and chest strap and place my wetsuit on top of it. Fins go on either side of my dive bag. Rolled up net bag for carrying gear to the boat goes along stuffed in the end to help things keep from shifting. Dive lights have batteries removed and placed in my booties. Save-a-dive kit is in an old mask box with an elastic cord around it to keep it from shifting. Pack socks in there if stuff rattles around.

I make a detailed packing list that I place in an envelope that clearly says in Magic Marker (so it's easy to see right away) "packing list". I also have my name and flight number, destination and phone number/e-mail on this envelope. I keep a duplicate of the packing list in my carry on. I have two luggage tags on the outside in case one gets torn off. I use a TSA lock and pack a spare in case it gets broken. Also carry zip ties in case both locks get crushed (it's happened). Totally anal,

I also photograph my luggage and sometimes the stuff inside depending on where I am going. I have never had anything taken from my dive bag and the time my bag was delayed, the photo of it came in handy. Forgot to mention, my dive bag has wide strips of purple zebra-striped duct tape on the front and back. I am sure TSA knows I'm either nuts or will complain loudly if anything goes wrong.

I carry on my computer and mask. I place my regulator inside of my BC, cinch it down with the cummerbund and chest strap and place my wetsuit on top of it. Fins go on either side of my dive bag. Rolled up net bag for carrying gear to the boat goes along stuffed in the end to help things keep from shifting. Dive lights have batteries removed and placed in my booties. Save-a-dive kit is in an old mask box with an elastic cord around it to keep it from shifting. Pack socks in there if stuff rattles around.

I make a detailed packing list that I place in an envelope that clearly says in Magic Marker (so it's easy to see right away) "packing list". I also have my name and flight number, destination and phone number/e-mail on this envelope. I keep a duplicate of the packing list in my carry on. I have two luggage tags on the outside in case one gets torn off. I use a TSA lock and pack a spare in case it gets broken. Also carry zip ties in case both locks get crushed (it's happened). Totally anal,

I also photograph my luggage and sometimes the stuff inside depending on where I am going. I have never had anything taken from my dive bag and the time my bag was delayed, the photo of it came in handy. Forgot to mention, my dive bag has wide strips of purple zebra-striped duct tape on the front and back. I am sure TSA knows I'm either nuts or will complain loudly if anything goes wrong.

I love it :D, OCD and anal retentive. You make me look like a total slob.

Back
Top Bottom