Pros vs. Cons: Alt air on BC inflator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
Statement (b) is true but it ignores the basic fact that the runaway inflator issue is almost entirely confined to cheap generic inflators or to similar designs that use an external button screwed on the stem to retain the spring. The most common reason these incidents occur is that the external nut/button screws itself off releasing the spring and preventing the seat from reseating when the button is released. I have never seen this occur with an Air 2 and I seriously doubt the nyloc nut inside the inflator assembly holding things together would ever unscrew itself in service.

I've seen it a lot on Zeagle inflators and a few others that I didn't get to see what they were.
If a diver experiences a runaway inflator failure on a rec dive, they really should be aborting the dive and making a direct ascent to the surface. The odds of having a second failure where a diver will need their alternate air source on the way to the surface is remote to say the least.

Why should the dive end? Power inflation is a convenience but sure isn't required to dive. Either way, depending on the dive, the best way to end it may be to head back underwater and in such cases you'll still want a functioning alternate.
Dispite the fact that it's possible to survive the use of an alternate inflator I think it's a silly poorly engineered gimick meant to be sold to tourists more so that divers.

I believe that some instructional agencies mandate that you teach the student to pass the primary. The last time I taught an SSI class this was the case. Unfortunately most instructors don't take it a step further and have the student set up his/her gear with the primary being the longer hose

Back
Top Bottom