Pros & Cons of Using a Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knee deep in nit wits...On an mCCR if you pass out from Hypoxia, you should still have your "leaky valve" feed which should be approx your resting O2 consumption, and certainly better than breathing water. The AGA's I use at work are pos pressure and self clear almost violently. We do not share ffms you donate an alternate second stage. In addition to switch blocks you can use quick connects attatched to the first stage of stage/bailout bottles.

I love it!! ...but how do you really feel about the advice being given on this thread? :rofl3:

...snip...They do have one "lower face pod" which is essentially a pocket mask like thing covering only the mouth with a mic inside. I have never seen another like it and don't know the manufacturer. ...snip...

We are the manufacturer. It is the XT-100-H Buddy Phone. Here is a 'dated' picture, but you get the idea. It is compatible with almost any 2nd stage.

xt100-tc-web.gif

Ahhh thank you. Personally I think this is a much better option in a shallow aquarium interpretation environment than a FFM which only fits about half (or less) of a population of divers but is shared by all.

I actually may want one of these for an O2 reg of mine :)

We are the manufacturer. It is the XT-100-H Buddy Phone. Here is a 'dated' picture, but you get the idea. It is compatible with almost any 2nd stage.

xt100-tc-web.gif

Ahhh thank you. Personally I think this is a much better option in a shallow aquarium interpretation environment than a FFM which only fits about half (or less) of a population of divers but is shared by all.

I actually may want one of these for an O2 reg of mine :)

I agree that there is no FFM that fits ALL faces, but my guess is your 50% number is low -- but it depends on what population we are talking about. That being said, our new FFM has a double seal and slightly smaller oral nasal pocket (compared to the AGA) to increase the number of divers it will fit.

We also have a Mantis mask which allows for nose pinch equalization, accommodates smaller faces, uses a diver supplied 2nd stage, but still allows for u/w communications and provides some environment/thermal protection.

Our aquarium AGAs have lots of ripped skirts cause people have to adjust them so much and the ear pieces tend to get in the way. We also have a box of various tubies to help people get decent seals around the temples. Maybe 50% is low, but there's alot of futzing going on between divers that's fo sure.

Although I'm not in charge, I like the user supplied mask concept.

I didn't bother reading the whole thread. Apologies if this is redundant...

People I know also report slightly higher gas consumption rates.

A buddy has one with the breakout "Pods" that house spare regulators, so you can change out regulators without taking off the mask portion. Other divers can breathe off the pods.

Better ones have an oro-nasal mask built in to reduce dead-air space.

Additional training of some sort should be undertaken.

Our aquarium AGAs have lots of ripped skirts cause people have to adjust them so much and the ear pieces tend to get in the way. We also have a box of various tubies to help people get decent seals around the temples. Maybe 50% is low, but there's alot of futzing going on between divers that's fo sure.

Although I'm not in charge, I like the user supplied mask concept.

Yep, the AGA can be a difficult fit for some people. High cheekbones and deep indented temples are prone to leaking as well as narrow or small faces. Seems that Jeff may need to do some remedial training for some of the divers. Ripping out the skirts is improper donning. The straps have to be pulled to the rear of the head, not out to the sides, this is what tears the buckles from the lugs. You also have to slide the earphones to the back prior to donning the mask. It's surprising how much better any piece of equipment is when you learn how to use it...

I've never ripped one but I've had to treat a couple with kid gloves cause they were hanging on by a thread. Its just a poor choice for an abusive environment of 28 dives a week by all sorts of people (since they are used in they WOW exhibit in addition to the dome). When really all they need is comms and a "mouth pod" would do the job.

Identifying the need for a FFM is key to picking the right one.

When really all they need is comms and a "mouth pod" would do the job.

Identifying the need for a FFM is key to picking the right one.

Have you ever used a mouth mask? How do you know it would do the job? In actuality, they are fairly difficult to use. Look at the distance that the reg is from the chin. Add to it a second set of straps, difficulty sealing at the base of your face mask and articulation is not the greatest since your mouth is separated from your nose.

The Interspiro Divator MKII, aka: AGA mask, which is also the US Navy MK20, is used by more aquariums for interactive diver programs than any other and for a good reason, it's the best mask for the job. Yes, training and fitting will always be a problem given the experience levels of the divers involved, but it's still the best for the task.

Can I ask what your experience is with full face masks outside of the aquarium?

I have tried the mouth mask; it fits my temples better :d

I am not using FFMs outside the aquarium (and already said so a couple pages ago). Thank God for that.

Sorry I think the AGA sucks. Just cause the Navy, the CG, and a boatload of aquariums use it doesn't mean squat. Some of these groups have demonstrated they don't really know how to dive all that well. Certainly a chunk of the Seattle aquarium divers are "so so". Considering the marginal bouyancy and fin skills I have observed, adding another layer of complexity to (the admittedly very shallow) dives doesn't help.

E.g. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone kick a reef or the pilings in the dome while struggling to clear their ears in the AGA cause it doesn't seal on their schnoze very well. Or the number of times I have discovered the valves are leaking and I'm fogging up while getting a pounding Co2 headache. Its a royal pain to try to reseat those with dry gloves on.

So overall the AGA is yesterday's technology IMO - they still work and have many followers. The M48 looks like a superior system addressing alot of weak points though. Since I have to use a FFM in the dome, I wish I had the chance to try one out and compare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom