Pros & Cons of using a Dive travel agency versus booking direct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I've come across this issue, too, but worse--I don't even see the same trips advertised!

I was checking out prices and availability on LOBs in the Red Sea on the Liveaboards.com website Search Results More than a few times I would go direct to the boat's online reservation site, and I wouldn't even see the same scheduled trips that Liveaboard.com advertised.

Is that a case of deceptive "click bait" or they simply haven't updated their system?

Seems odd that a web-based travel agency that that specializes in liveaboard reservations you wouldn't have the up-to-date information...

also tagging @Ministryofgiraffes ...I don't expect the sites, Liveaboard/PADI Travel included, to have the most accurate/updated information. I don't believe they have a direct backend access linked to live availability with the boat operator so they are probably updating manually, or relying on the operator to communicate updated inventory on a daily basis. There might be 2 available now, but someone may have booked directly with the op last night and it may not be updated to just show 1 now. There are many factors here, or even Liveaboard booking someone, confirming with the op on the space, then PADI Travel not having had the update yet. It's understandable.

sort of, they confirmed to me last time that when they have 2 berths available, they just display '2 berths available' in every slot and then deal with it when you reach out to them. I challenged them on it once and told them that they can now update their website because they have the up to date information and it would mean that others wouldn't be mislead and their reply was that 'we don't really update our site with that info'.....

also tagging @Ministryofgiraffes ...I don't expect the sites, Liveaboard/PADI Travel included, to have the most accurate/updated information. I don't believe they have a direct backend access linked to live availability with the boat operator so they are probably updating manually, or relying on the operator to communicate updated inventory on a daily basis. There might be 2 available now, but someone may have booked directly with the op last night and it may not be updated to just show 1 now. There are many factors here, or even Liveaboard booking someone, confirming with the op on the space, then PADI Travel not having had the update yet. It's understandable.

Fair enough, you make some good points (though in 2019 certainly the technology must exist to link up sites so that Liveaboard.com/Padi Travel could have backend access to each operators live inventory). Regardless, not updating your website on a daily basis is one thing, but what I was referring to was something completely different, and imo more egregious:

Liveaboard.com is advertising (this is a made up example) a trip for Aug 15th - Aug. 22nd on boat XYZ for $1,200. But when I go to boat XYZ's website, they don't even show a trip that's scheduled for Aug. 15th - 22nd!

I'd be surprised if agents at Liveaboard.com don't monitor online discussions here & elsewhere about their company, maybe someone from the company can explain how / why this happens?

in this above instance, someone may have booked a charter and then asked liveaboard etc to publicize it to fill the slots. Sometimes travel agents do this.

out of interest, did you ask liveaboard why they had a trip listed that wasn't on the operator's site?

I've used Caradonna in the past (non liveaboard) and gotten the same deal if I'd booked it all myself.

One nice thing is one call and they handle all of it (flights, hotel, diving). Plus I'm pretty sure I received a packet from them prior to leaving with all the confirmations etc.

I book Explorer Ventures directly. If Mary still works there she's extremely nice and helpful. Usually taking advantage of one of their sales so you have to book fast b4 they're gone. Like the morning you get the e-mail.

Dreamweaver Travel in Colorado is superb. I've used them several times. Truly a fantastic experience. Way better than booking yourself. I dealt with Lisa and she is a truly knowledgeable and pleasant person. Saved me a LOT of work and time. Highly recommended.

what sort of trips did you book through Lisa?

Indonesia, Philippines and Caribbean. She did airfares and accommodations. Very efficient and pleasant to deal with.

Meant more a case of ‘ which resorts’ :) I always like hearing about great trip ideas !

Meant more a case of ‘ which resorts’ :) I always like hearing about great trip ideas !

Indonesia: Passport to Paradise: Murex Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Resort.

Philippines: Atlantis Dum & PG.

Caribbean: All over!

Back
Top Bottom