Pros and Cons of wearing gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasoncassanova

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Three weeks ago i got a deep cut on my middle finger right on the knuckle for making an error in deploying a lift bag/smb, the cut was made by the side of the finger spool, it was my first time to use my own gear but i've had practice with the equipments of others :( anyway i know that practice makes perfect and i know i'll get it straight next time but i had a thought that had i been wearing gloves i wouldn't have been cut... so what's your say of always wearing gloves in your dives?

p.s. i'm here in the philippines and water's always warm, so we're talking about 2mm/3mm gloves.

I dive with gloves even in warm water. I use reef gloves. 1mm just for skin abrasion protection as skin can be extremely soft after many dives a day.

I never use gloves if the water is warm enough to do without them. I routinely handle spools and reels with bare hands. How did you manage to cut yourself on a spool?

I almost always wear gloves of one sort or another.

The only dive that I have not worn gloves in 10 years was on the Spiegel Grove in January where I rested my hand on a sea urchin. Ouch!

My general rule is wreck dive = gloves, reef dive = no gloves.

Gloves, always. Once you get thrown on top of a barrier reef and your heavy-duty reef gloves sacrifice themselves for your safety you will never question the logic again. Ever.

For warm water diving I prefer .5 mil gloves with abrasion resistant palms, gives me lots of dexterity and feeling and I don't personally feel the need for the thermal protection. Using my pair of 3/2 gloves today did remind me that, yes, even hands get cold in 75* water.

Peace,
Greg

Sometimes gloves, temp, type of dive, mainly fingertips cut off unless that would be detrimental. Have to start an, other peoples fingertips worn out glove pool. Nah hardware store gloves all types for five bucks is much more better. No?

If the water is chilly I use 5mm gloves. If it's warm I use those rubber-dipped stretch cotton gloves you can get for $3/pair at the local hardware store. Incidentally I use the same gloves caving and working on the car. The things are fantastic.

Soft, pruny fingers + sharp objects underwater = no thanks.

I always wear gloves. For the added safety and piece of mind. Cold or warm water I like the protection of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom