Props to Red Baron divers on Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michaelkuznet

Registered
Reaction score
Just got back today from diving with Nick on Deep Blue. We did all of our diving with him except for one cattle boat night dive with Red Sail. What a disaster! *is there a [spoiled] smiley face*? Met some cool people too :-D
Although the weather wasn't to great the first few days, the boat is heavy and even seasick prone people like myself were fine. Be prepared to go through all sorts of tunnels and passageways- Nick is an expert on those and some of them freaked me out just a little itty bit.... :p However, they *are* beautiful.
There always seem to be tons of suggestions for and against many different dive operators, but Nick and Red Baron are definately one for the *to keep* pile. There-- Recommended. :-D My only gripe is that he wouldn't wash our wetsuits for us, but we're spoiled, we're spoiled.
Now if only I could figure out how to get the damn dives off of my Suunto onto my Compuutero!
Peace,
MK

We did several days worth of diving with Nick on one of my trips a few years back. Great guy and he let us dive at our pace once he saw that we were comfortable and competent in the water. He took us to the site, gave us some tips and pointers on where to got and what to see, did a short "tour" for us, then let us continue exploring on our own.

If you like small groups and personalized service he's certainly a good choice.

Out of curiosity, what went wrong with RedSail?

I have heard lots of good things about them on this site, so was quite suprised to read your comment.

Cheers - Bob

Red Sail: it really is an issue of size. There are a ton of people, and obviously this leads to impersonal service and a crowded, crowded dive. A crowded night dive is the last thing you want- instead of searching for your buddy in a group of six people, you are searching for your buddy in a sea of a whole catamaran's worth of people. During the day, this might be okay, but the added effect of the darkness and the fact that it is tough to recognize somebody when they are shining their light in your face could possibly leave your first priority, your buddy, in a dangerous position. However, that is how Red Sail chooses to conduct its business, and while I believe it to be pushing the limits of safe diving, I'll allow that they have superior business and scuba diving knowledge and are better equiped to judge.
For my parents, rather than it being an issue of what they did do, its an issue of what they didn't do- my folks don't like having to drag all their own stuff, put it all together, etc. Spoiled? Of course, but thats why Red Baron and similar services survive- you don't lug around your stuff, the website explains all the details you need and is well designed, you're not constantly bumping in to a hundred other people, etc.
I submit that Red Sail is good at what it does, but that one must remember that you are diving on a huge boat and it is not possible to provide personal service.
:-D
MK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom