Proposing a New Hand Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
"Thumbs up" means "let's head for the surface". The implication is we're not going to noodle around. Just start ascending, where you are, at a safe pace. Could be that something's wrong, or maybe the viz sucks and everyone's bored, or you're back at the anchor line and it's time to head up, or whatever. You take the elevator to the top floor.

"Turn around" is a hand signal we use to indicate "let's go back the way we came". Not sure how universal it is, though I know crane signalers use it to get the crane guy to raise the load. :D Index finger points up, and you turn it in a small circular motion. Headhunter showed that one to me. :D

But I propose we need a new signal, something kinda in-between. This one means "let's start heading shallower". This is more like taking an escalator than an elevator. You swim in a ramp. It's for situations like this:

1. You figure you probably don't have enough air to take the same route back, so you need to start going shallower to cut down your air consumption.
2. Maybe you're getting close to your NDL limit, so you want to get a little shallower to gain some NDL time.
3. Any other reason you want to take the escalator. Sometimes with real good visibility I like to get high above the sea floor and look down. Gets my fear of heights thing going. Gives me the willies. :D Real cool.

I propose the way you give the signal is this:

Lay one hand flat, facing up, like you're asking for a tip. Lay the other hand on top of it, then angle the top hand to form a "V" with the bottom hand. Then move the top hand at that angle towards the surface.

When I've used that signal before, people look at me goofy...

My buddy and I use the old "thumb up" followed immediately by a "level off" signal. It works for us.

Jcsgt:
My buddy and I use the old "thumb up" followed immediately by a "level off" signal. It works for us.

Ditto.

For me personally I plan the dive, dive it, and if I can't dive it the way I planned because of impending low air supply, I end it. I'm not skilled enough to try and squeeze a few minutes of NDL time out of a dive that I don't "think" I can complete nor do I think it's a good idea to try. So for novice or beginning divers that wouldn't be a reason for a "shallower depth" hand signal. I would just give my dive buddy the "follow me" hand signal to change depth anyway.

Jcsgt:

I follow the level off with a depth; so the message is "accend and level off at xx feet" ( thumbs down-level off for decend to xx feet )

Jcsgt:

I use the same. I like this one. Simple and easy. Plus, if you talk w/ you buddy about what your signals mean, I am sure it will be easy.

rickyd:
I follow the level off with a depth; so the message is "accend and level off at xx feet" ( thumbs down-level off for decend to xx feet )
Good point.
By the way, love your avatar. That manta's huge!

For "move up" how about one hand, palm upwards, and motioning upwards witht the fingertips. You could throw in a "return" and then a "move up" to let your buddy know that you will be heading back shallower.

mccabejc:
"Lay one hand flat, facing up, like you're asking for a tip. Lay the other hand on top of it, then angle the top hand to form a "V" with the bottom hand. Then move the top hand at that angle towards the surface.

When I've used that signal before, people look at me goofy...

Most hand signals are given using just one hand. Having a signal that uses both hands adds undue complexity when there are already several signals that can be used for your intended purpose.

I generally use the "thumbs up" then "little bit" signal when I want to ascend to a shallower depth, but would understand many of the suggestions already posted above as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom