Proposed Gear set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a personal preference being expressed here: forget the snorkel, buy a Diverite E-115 mask for $45 and OMS Slipstream fins for about $80. Simplicity is better in diving, it's less expensive, and "speed" under water doesn't mean much.

Snorkel is required to complete my OW certification, and additionally if I go on Vaca with non-diving friends who want to go snorkeling I'm covered.

I'm not sure if those fins come with spring straps. If they do not, factor the spring straps in as well, because unless you dive from the boat the standard straps are junk as they lock up easily if any sand or small stones got inside the locks. Do yourself a favor and save yourself some money. Those money could go towards the purchase of something else that can make you diving more often

Yes, spring straps are included. In fact, any fin I get I am sold on the ease of use of spring straps.

First of all, thank you all very much for all your input. :acclaim:

I have done lots of research and all the gear above is rated highly by various sources. Running this stuff by you guys gives even more valuable invaluable insight since magazine reviews are often biased and user reviews are often a case of "this is best because it's what I have".

Various topics:

BCD vs BP/W: Yes I've read the debates. My concern here are specifics. BCD is buy and forget assuming integrated weight system as I understand it. BP/W I need to put together at least 3 components(?) I was thinking BP/W may be something I grow into as I gain a better understanding of this sport. But if you have a specific, travel friendly BP/W configurations (even better with links) than I am nothing but ears.

Regs:
My final 4 considerations, all with excellent reviews from various sources:
Oceanic Delta 4.1/FDX-10
Scubapro mk25/s600
AA Z2x
Hollis DC3/212

...could probably merit a thread of its own over in the Reg section. I found an excellent price on the Hollis setup incl. 321 Octo, but would not want to skimp here if someone had a good reason why I should step up.

I make a comfortable but not lavish living. In evaluating price vs. quality I'd like to stay in the solid, SAFE, known, well-built and "will last" category without going overboard on prices just for the sake of style or over-engineered features for a non-pro.

Although I absolutely ADORE my MK25/S600's, I will admit I bought them used, and I don't think you have to spend anywhere near that much money for a good regulator for recreational diving. I don't know much about the Hollis regs, but I have an Aqualung Titan setup for diving singles, and it was very good value for the money. There is no need to go ultra high-end.

If you are going to do nothing but warm water diving, many BCs will do fine. I would always look for one that has trim pockets well up on your back, because horizontal trim can be difficult to achieve with all your weight in pockets around your waist, or on a belt.

If you are interested in looking into a backplate system, the Deep Sea Supply Kydex plate with the 17 or 20 lb wing is a very nice combination. It comes apart neatly for packing, weighs very little, and dives beautifully (I have the 17 lb travel wing). You do have to add a weight belt or, what I do, weight pockets on the cambands.

The one place where I absolutely agree with most of the posters above is that $185 for fins is highway robbery. Even considering that they include the spring straps, that's still almost twice as much as you need to spend. Consider a pair of the Dive Rite paddle fins, or the ones I have for warm water, the Deep See Pulse fins. They can be purchased on line for about $40, and then you add the spring straps to them. If at some time in the future you decide you NEED different fins, you can purchase them -- shops will always be happy to sell you the most expensive fins they carry :)

Why spend $185.00 on fins when you can get a great pair of OMS slip stream fins from leisure pro for $60.00 and spring straps for same price, you will never have to replace thesee things either for a long time. Mask is good, reg is good. BP/W my choice Oms/ oxcheq bladder. Good Luck.

Aside from the horrid weather I have had a good impression of Ontario, up to now! Of course with Zeagles only special high tech wrenches would do.

Haha, no the spanner was not hi-tech it was thinner than those he had :)

I make a comfortable but not lavish living. In evaluating price vs. quality I'd like to stay in the solid, SAFE, known, well-built and "will last" category without going overboard on prices just for the sake of style or over-engineered features for a non-pro.

Then get Mk25/s600, I think it is well known everywhere and is very good reg. You can even dive this combination down to 40f water safely

Various topics:

BCD vs BP/W: Yes I've read the debates. My concern here are specifics. BCD is buy and forget assuming integrated weight system as I understand it. BP/W I need to put together at least 3 components(?) I was thinking BP/W may be something I grow into as I gain a better understanding of this sport.

You do not have to grow into it. You just get the set, adjust the harness to your body composition and dive. Anytime you body composition has changed (lost or gained weight) just adjust it and dive. I lost 25 lbs after I bought my then well fit BCD and now it's hanging in the closet and I need to trade it in :)

If I hadn't already spent way too much on gear this year, the DSS Kydex plate would be on my *very* short list.

Here are some good videos showing that High $$ fins are not necessary for excellent movement and control under water :)

Go Side Mount - Steve Bogaerts

In the Wreck diving video, as far as I can tell, Mr. Bogaerts is using $48 Mares Avanti X3 Open Heel Fins.

I currently use OMS Slipstreams w/ spring straps for travel, but would like to find something lighter - though they're not too bad weight wise.

Mask: love my Atomic Frameless mask. I bought an Atomic Subframe first, great mask too, but it's now my back-up. And just get a simple, cheap J-tube snorkel. I went with an OmerSub Zoom Pro Soft Snorkel - it can be folded/rolled up to fit in a pocket.

Regs; something that is widely available where you'll be traveling so there's a chance you can get them serviced in case you need it. SP MK17/G250V maybe? I use Apeks myself, but always bring a service kit and tools, so I'm prepared.

Have fun shopping. It can be daunting, but you'll find something you'll enjoy diving, no doubt.

Henrik

...in the long term, 'blowing' $ 200 on a high quality pair of fins versus only spending say, $ 100 is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things..... I'm a big fan of the APOLLO Bio Fins with the SS spring straps..... I've got 4 pairs of those (can you tell I like 'em? ).....also had/sold a pair of Tusa Zoom splits....still have a pair of DiveRite 'techie' paddle fins with SS spring straps too. Have you looked at an average/typical price on say, a one week long liveaboard scuba trip ? For just what it would cost for that trip, you could easily outfit a couple of divers each with a complete, new set of dive gear ! ...the point being, scuba ain't the sport you get into to 'save' $. ...not saying that $ grows on trees, and that it doesn't pay to shop wisely, but again, big picture wise...that extra $ 100 I'd blow on a $200 pair of new Apollo Bio Fins/SS spring straps (visit Scubatoys!) is some of the best $ I've ever spent !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom