Proposed Gear set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on how much traveling and how far off the beaten path you go, but I would check on the avalibility of service world-wide for your regs. It sucks to be away from your "service location" and find out no one knows or can service your regs if a problem arises.

I don't know anything about Hollis regs, but it's a question you might ask and research.

It depends on how much traveling and how far off the beaten path you go, but I would check on the avalibility of service world-wide for your regs. It sucks to be away from your "service location" and find out no one knows or can service your regs if a problem arises.

I don't know anything about Hollis regs, but it's a question you might ask and research.

There is no real need to get something that has to be serviced locally, that is what shipping is for. And this worldwide service is rather overrated as well since the chances of something breaking during a trip are slim. And what are the chances that no one would know how to service it anyway? Its a scuba regulator consisting of little more that a couple springs and o-rings, not a nuclear reactor.

Get a pair of Jet Fins, and spring straps, you will be glad you did. It may take a while to figure out why, but you will.

Also while the BC v. BP/W debate has been done here ad nauseam still you really should get a BP/W. Again you will be glad you did.

Get a pair of Jet Fins, and spring straps, you will be glad you did. It may take a while to figure out why, but you will.

Also while the BC v. BP/W debate has been done here ad nauseam still you really should get a BP/W. Again you will be glad you did.

Not giving the guy much to go on, are ya?

And what are the chances that no one would know how to service it anyway? Its a scuba regulator consisting of little more that a couple springs and o-rings, not a nuclear reactor.

Man the chances are REAL! :D How could I imaging that after coming from my vacation the reg at my shop was still seating unserviced :) After breaking 2 spanners the service person who is one of the best service man in Ontario told me . Man I do not want to break your reg. Just give me the freaking spanners from Zeagle before I try to do it again :D When the spanners were in - boom he calls me 2 hours later - come pick it up, it's all serviced and tuned.

M the service person who is one of the best service man in Ontario

Aside from the horrid weather I have had a good impression of Ontario, up to now! Of course with Zeagles only special high tech wrenches would do.

There is no real need to get something that has to be serviced locally, that is what shipping is for. And this worldwide service is rather overrated as well since the chances of something breaking during a trip are slim. And what are the chances that no one would know how to service it anyway? Its a scuba regulator consisting of little more that a couple springs and o-rings, not a nuclear reactor.

Well, since the OP did say he was "warm water diving on air vacations" I would venture to guess the only time something is going to go wrong is on a trip. And while I agree that a reg set is not an overly complicated piece of equipment, I'd personally figure my chances of getting something repaired CORRECTLY would be greatly increased if the repairman had the proper tools, parts and had at least seen one before.

But to each their own, buy what ever you like.

Ask yourself what attracted you to this set up.
If you like the look of the kit, have confidence in the brands, and it is all within budget then that really is half the battle!

After that the only advice I offer is to firstly find unbiased online reviews (There are hundreds out there, dive mags often publicise test results online). Try the kit on if you can. Then if you're still happy, find a good price!
In my experience, you will always have small annoyances with anything you buy (whether it be for diving or not), but it is a lot easier to overcome these annoyances when you have gone with your gut, done the homework and found the discount.
If you're gonna be doing a lot of traveling (flying), compare weights with other kit. This has always been a top consideration for me as excess baggage charges are getting more and more ridiculous all the time, and airlines are canceling their allowances for SCUBA gear one after another.

Best of luck!
SJ.

Split fins? I love 'em...

Just a personal preference being expressed here: forget the snorkel, buy a Diverite E-115 mask for $45 and OMS Slipstream fins for about $80. Simplicity is better in diving, it's less expensive, and "speed" under water doesn't mean much.

If it's a good value to you and provides the service and quality you expect for your hard earned dollar, then go for it. On rec dives, I prefer my Atomic splitfins. Yes they are long as compared to most other fins and that may be a contention to some. Mine are the older model and I bought the spring straps when they came out. I believe the smoke on the water version is made from less stiff material than the previous ones and they come with spring straps already installed. Based on your comment about rebuilt knees I feel they would serve your purpose well. Since you've seen the test results you can expect similar performance for you too.

If I am going into a wreck or cave where anti silting kicks will be primarily used, I have a different pair, made by a different company, that will CERTAINLY stress your knees far more. But they are the right tool for that particular job.

I use a Atomic subframe mask. My daughter loves her Atomic frameless. Never used their snorkel, but I'm sure it will do the job. I carry a Oceanic fold-up but that's another story.

Any chance the shop you took your classes from will let you try the complete set up before you buy? I'm not familiar with Hollis regs. I dive a pair of Atomic m-1s but you may have guessed I am a fan of AA. Yes, I could have spent less on other brands, but I gave my local dive shop the opportunity to compare their price to Leisure Pro. I've never regretted my purchase.

Good luck and dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom