Proposed Gear set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdiver68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anything wrong with this gear set-up for the prices? I'm a newbie who mostly plans on warm weather air vacation dives. Would you suggest something different?

Hollis DC3/212 + 321 Octo = $399
AA Subframe Mask + AA SV2 Snorkel = $109
AA 'Smoke-Water' Splitfins = $185
Cressi Travelight or Zeagle Stiletto = $400

Total about $1100, all can be serviced locally.

Anything wrong with this gear set-up for the prices? I'm a newbie who mostly plans on warm weather air vacation dives. Would you suggest something different?

Do you have any idea why you're buying split fins?

Do you have any idea why you're buying split fins?

Recommendation from instructor and very high scores in various tests and reviews. I'd appreciate any advice you have if split fins are not good for my proposed application. I realize they are big for instance which may make travel a hassle.

Recommendation from instructor and very high scores in various tests and reviews. I'd appreciate any advice you have if split fins are not good for my proposed application. I realize they are big for instance which may make travel a hassle.

Did the instructor provide a rationale for his recommendation?

Have you tried them?

Splits have their fans and their detractors. Fans tend to tout how much easier they are to go fast in. I'm never sure why people want to "go fast" when diving - nearly every diver would do better to S-L-O-W down!

There are certainly much cheaper fins. I'd try any of the dozens and dozens of perfectly fine "standard" fins before plunking down nearly two-hundred dollars on a pair that are already broken!

:eyebrow:

Did the instructor provide a rationale for his recommendation?

Have you tried them?

Splits have their fans and their detractors. Fans tend to tout how much easier they are to go fast in. I'm never sure why people want to "go fast" when diving - nearly every diver would do better to S-L-O-W down!

There are certainly much cheaper fins. I'd try any of the dozens and dozens of perfectly fine "standard" fins before plunking down nearly two-hundred dollars on a pair that are already broken!

:eyebrow:

Hmmm, well he said he had a pair for several years and thousands of dives and loved them, in particular the strap system and durability. But then again perhaps he was just trying to sell me the most expensive pair in the shop :shocked2: I liked the comments about being easy on the knees since both of mine have been rebuilt.

I liked the comments about being easy on the knees since both of mine have been rebuilt.

That might be a decent factor to consider. Not sure, but I believe there are less expensive split fins.

By the way, the Atomic Masks are great! Personally, I prefer the Frameless...

ATO0025.jpg

...to the SubFrame:

ATO0023.jpg

Frameless has a slightly wider field of view, but in general I just don't like dual-lens masks.

I would pass on the AA smoke water fins. Get some fins in the $60-80 bucks range and you will be more than happy. So far I have found AA stuff is a bit overpriced

Do you have a narrow or wide face ? I'm on the wider range and I found AA masks were too tight for me. SB Orbit was more on the wide side. In any case check how the mask sits on your face. For a snorkle if you really need it just get a simple cheapo tube w/o those fancy valves and anti-wave BS on top :) Or get a fold able one that you can store in the pocket. You will most likely ditch it as it wont be needed most of the time.

It's not that split fins are not good for any reason. they are just way overpriced.

I bought my mares quattros for 80 bucks and they are way better that those AA Splits I bought later under the same impression. now the AA are just for sale that was one of the worst purchases I have ever made.

Hmmm, well he said he had a pair for several years and thousands of dives and loved them, in particular the strap system and durability. But then again perhaps he was just trying to sell me the most expensive pair in the shop :shocked2: I liked the comments about being easy on the knees since both of mine have been rebuilt.

easy on the knees argument I have found being a nonsense. You control the way you work the knees not you fins. I'm not sure if those fins come with spring straps. If they do not, factor the spring straps in as well, because unless you dive from the boat the standard straps are junk as they lock up easily if any sand or small stones got inside the locks. Do yourself a favor and save yourself some money. Those money could go towards the purchase of something else that can make you diving more often

Used Halcyon AL BP/Wing & retro fit the new cinch system. $500 est.
Atomic framless mask.
Avanti Quattro fins.
Scuba Pro MK25/S600...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom