Proposed bp/w set up - comments please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Thanks for the reply. As I am mainly using it to travel, will it still be a decent set up if I stick with the Al backplate and just use a weight belt (struggling to justify the expense of the weight system, but I will do it if I need to!).

As you can tell I am pretty set on getting Al over SS, but I will see if I can get SS within my baggage allowance.

Hi all

Some background: I have only 25 dives under my belt and typically am a 'holiday' diver in hot climates, although I have just done my drysuit specialty for UK diving.

I want to buy my first and only BCD. Initially I was looking at the Scubapro Hydros Pro or Aqua Lung Rogue, but I am thinking about going down the bp/w route instead. I want this to be fairly lightweight for travel but be able to cope with my drysuit diving (maybe by changing the backplate to a heavier one if needed)

As I don't know what I am doing, I thought I would come here and seek comments on my proposed setup.

1. Tecnomar Aluminium Backplate

2. Apeks WTX D30 Single Cylinder Wing

3. Apeks WTX Deluxe One Piece Harness

4. Apeks Weight System + Attachment System (might add this later and just dive with a belt for now)

5. Apeks Wing Screws x 2 (would these ones at half the price be compatible)

6. Apeks Grip Lock Cam Bands x 2 (or do I only need one?)

Also some specific questions:

A. The backplate is the only non-Apaks bit of kit and is much cheaper than other ones. Should I be concerned?

B. Is there anything I might be forgetting?

B. I am wondering whether, instead of all of this effort, I should just go down the xdeep ghost route. It would be a lot lighter. Thoughts welcome on that!

Thank you a lot.

Nothing at all wrong with your proposed setup. If you want a less expensive pocket option you could look at something like: Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! for releasable weights (each one holds about 4 lbs soft weights, may hold 5 but I have never tried, so will plenty good enough for your warm water diving but not enough for cold water diving with Dry Suit) and Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Attach Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! for trim pockets.

@llyamah

Some quick food for thought

1. I'd avoid the Apex WTX harness. If you are set on a comfort harness instead of traditional simple webbing (and there's no reason not to use a comfort harness I have them on all my BP/w) Then I'd reccomend the Diverite TransPLAT. It can fit only any backplate and is easier to set up as well as havign more fine adjustments than the WTX

2. Regarding weight, its best to say how much weight you're carrying at teh moment (with practice some will come off)

For me, I have two rigs. One for Drysuit and one for Wetsuit. The latter I only carry a couple of kg so I just have 2 x cam band trim pockets, where as my Winter rig for a drysuit I have additional SS plate and waist mounted integrated pockets (again I prefer the Diverite pockets to teh Apex - I've used both), so I can spread teh weight and be able to easily remove weight in the water and hand it up, before boarding a boat

You might find it more economical to have an Ali plate and use lead at the destination, rather than having the weight of a SS for travel (especially with the restricted weight allowance on UK airlines)

With any multi purpose rig, there will be compromises from the perfect set up, only you can decide which compromises you're happy to take.

However with a little more info we could get you a bit closer

Hi all

Some background: I have only 25 dives under my belt and typically am a 'holiday' diver in hot climates, although I have just done my drysuit specialty for UK diving.

I want to buy my first and only BCD. Initially I was looking at the Scubapro Hydros Pro or Aqua Lung Rogue, but I am thinking about going down the bp/w route instead. I want this to be fairly lightweight for travel but be able to cope with my drysuit diving (maybe by changing the backplate to a heavier one if needed)

As I don't know what I am doing, I thought I would come here and seek comments on my proposed setup.

1. Tecnomar Aluminium Backplate

2. Apeks WTX D30 Single Cylinder Wing

3. Apeks WTX Deluxe One Piece Harness

4. Apeks Weight System + Attachment System (might add this later and just dive with a belt for now)

5. Apeks Wing Screws x 2 (would these ones at half the price be compatible)

6. Apeks Grip Lock Cam Bands x 2 (or do I only need one?)

Also some specific questions:

A. The backplate is the only non-Apaks bit of kit and is much cheaper than other ones. Should I be concerned?

B. Is there anything I might be forgetting?

B. I am wondering whether, instead of all of this effort, I should just go down the xdeep ghost route. It would be a lot lighter. Thoughts welcome on that!

Thank you a lot.

I recommend two main changes, first a steel BP and second a standard, simple, single piece harness Deluxe One-Piece Web Harness

The reasons:

in the U.K. you always need weight. SS vs Ali reduces the lead. Abroad, unless you are very thin, you need some weight and the SS is still better. The odd kilo is neither here nor there on a plane.

A simple harness just works. There is a tiny bit of technique required putting it on and taking it up but it takes minutes to learn. On a complicated, adjustable harness there are a bunch of dangling bits. This is worst on the Custom Divers one with SS d rings, but even on that Apeks one someone will one day attach some kit to the wrong place and you will be wondering why you stage is dragging behind you or your camera just landed on the deck. The simple one is also £150 cheaper.

The xDeep Ghost looks like another attempt to save weight, but really weight is your friend. The Zeos look a bit more normal.

Your profile says you are in London. If you want to try some of this stuff out you could come to our pool session on Wednesday and try a simple BPW setup. We are near Canada Water tube and meet at about 8.15 at Seven Islands, let me know by PM if you want me to bring kit to try. There is also the Dive Show Home - The Dive Shows next weekend. Anyone speaking on the Tek Stage could help you, the odd one (Toni at least) is London based.

Hi Thanks for the reply. As I am mainly using it to travel, will it still be a decent set up if I stick with the Al backplate and just use a weight belt (struggling to justify the expense of the weight system, but I will do it if I need to!).

As you can tell I am pretty set on getting Al over SS, but I will see if I can get SS within my baggage allowance.

These are much better than a standard Nylon weight belt. They stay in place and are easy to remove if needed:
https://www.makospearguns.com/Freedive-Weight-Belt-p/mfdwb.htm

I've never had good luck with weight systems and that belt seems to be the simplest solution for me. However, I'm putting my vote in for the Stainless backplate. It moves all of your ballast to your back and not your hips and makes trim easier.

1. I'd avoid the Apex WTX harness. If you are set on a comfort harness instead of traditional simple webbing (and there's no reason not to use a comfort harness I have them on all my BP/w) Then I'd reccomend the Diverite TransPLAT. It can fit only any backplate and is easier to set up as well as havign more fine adjustments than the WTX

I recommend two main changes, first a steel BP and second a standard, simple, single piece harness Deluxe One-Piece Web Harness.

Are you both reading the same post I am? The op linked a DIR compliant single webbing harness in his post, not a fancy one with QR and tons of d-rings, with only difference being shoulder pads and an extra waist d-ring. Description of item in OPs original post is:

The Apeks WTX Deluxe One Peice Harness is a traditional one-peice DIR 2" webbing harness with a crotch strap and hardware. Strong and reliable the WTX Harness was made for the demanding technical diver wanting a DIR setup. The medium stiffness webbing is strong while flexible and the soft crotch strap will keep your rig in position without rubbing

Steel plate is your friend.

Not that big of a deal traveling domestically and internationally with my XDeep Zeos SS BP.

I recommend getting a gear bag with rollers, a telescoping handle and shoulder straps for long stairs.

I've traveled with my stainless plate in my carry on without issue.

FE7D6648-A700-439B-AC22-61CD44E7A757.jpeg
Stainless plate here too

The hear the green webbing totally improves one’s SAC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom