Proper wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am preparing to get a Halcyon Eclipse wing setup. I am wondering if the 30# wing is right or the 40#. I carry only 6# of lead with my standard BC, wearing a 4/3 full-suit with al80 single. I am getting the AL BP versus the steel because I know I don't need the extra 3-4 lbs the SS BP offers. Thanks for any help you can offer.

The 30# should be more than enough.

It's up to you, but I recomend that beginners carry ditchable weight. For myself, I'd go with the SS BP and have no ditchable weight. The 30 should be plenty. I always carry a lift bag, Therefore I still have a means of buoyancy in case of a total wing failure.

Yeah, I'd go with a SS also as I'd rather have the weight on my back instead of on my hips.

i'd triple the SS idea

if you can get rid of weight by spreading it over your back, it's a win-win situation

the 30 should be plenty

Ditto on the SS. I have SS because I dive cold at home, but I just took it to Coz for a week, wore no other weight, and it was great having all weight on my back. Very easy to get into trim position. I also carry a SMB with plent of lift in case of wing failure.

30 pounds should be fine with warm water exposure protection. It's really your exposure protection that dictates wing size.

I carry 6# with a jacket style BC. I will probably drop most if not all of that by going to the BP. That was the reason that I chose the Al BP because if I chose the SS BP I would be adding more to my negative state and not be able to do anything about it except for putting additional air in my bc.

I know that my jacket bc is positive and the BP is negative in the water and that difference is fairly big. I am figuring that the AL BP/w will be more than enough for me to drop that 6# that I carry right now. I didn't want to end up with a situation where as I was overly negative and had to add air to the wing to be neutral at the surface.

I also have the 6' Halcyon Super-Big SMB which also offers 52# lift if I had failure of my wing.

By the way thanks for that thought. I would have probably sat on the bottom and drowned if my wing ever failed. I never even thought of the SMB also being a backup bouyancy device.

P.S. That 6# in my jacket BC is by doing a traditional bouyancy check at the surface. I do the check with 400-500psi in my tank and I could probably do with onlu 4-5# in a traditional BC setup.

If you carry 6 pounds of lead now, and figuring on the outside 6 lbs of negative bouyancy for an Al 80 when full, throw in another 1lb negative for your regulator, then another 2 lbs for grins, giggles, knives, etc, the BC, should only have to overcome about 15 lbs of negative bouyancy.

I have a 45 lb single wing, but it is WAY more wing than I need.

scubafool:
If you carry 6 pounds of lead now, and figuring on the outside 6 lbs of negative bouyancy for an Al 80 when full, throw in another 1lb negative for your regulator, then another 2 lbs for grins, giggles, knives, etc, the BC, should only have to overcome about 15 lbs of negative bouyancy.

I have a 45 lb single wing, but it is WAY more wing than I need.
Im thinking this really doesnt add up , you also forgot the +8 for the suit he is wearing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom