Proper Weighting w/ Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srownin

Registered
Reaction score
I just started diving with a pony bottle as a redundant air supply. Please do not make this a thread about the pros and cons of ponies. Let's just assume everyone that should be posting a reply advocates the use of a pony.

Back to my question. The pony is mounted slightly to the side of my tank. Because of this, I knew I would have to redistribute my weight to stay even. On my first dive with the pony I took three pounds off the side with the pony and thought I would be ok.

Well, I was way off. The entire dive was difficult. Not only was I much heavier on one side, but I was significantly overweighted. To make matters worse, it was a shallow dive so the extra air I needed made becoming neutral quite a challange.

When I got home I decided to weigh my pony bottle rig, filled with air. The entire thing weighs 12 lbs!!

Typically on my local dives (cold water, 7mm suit) I use 18 lbs. total. How do I weight myself evenly if I have a fixed 12 on one side? 6-12 doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I would also like to avoid mounting the pony dead center off the tank due to entanglement concerns.

Any thoughts?

Thanks and happy diving.

--Scott

not sure about the weighting but just because something weighs 12lbs doesn't mean it's 12lbs negative

I only made minor changes to my weights when I started with a 13 cu ft and none when I moved to a 19 cu ft pony. I did counterbalance the pony by adding two pounds more to the opposite side from the pony. Your mileage may vary.

I dive with a 17cf pony at times and I only move a couple of lbs in a 3 mil or dry suit. I could probably get away with not moving anything.(it makes me feel better to move something)

I used to offset my 19 with a 2lb weight in the rear trim pocket if that was all I was carrying back there. If dry and needed extra in the back I'd still keep the 2lb difference. Then I went to a slung under left arm configuration and with my reel clipped to the right hip d ring I needed no extra weight. Just went to BPW and this weekend will be the first time diving it with pony. I've already dove the rig without. I'm going to sling it and with my cannister light on the right hip which is 3lbs negative in the water I should be good to go. You should not need much weight to offset a pony. I understand you seeing the 12 lbs on the scale but I'm willing to bet especially if its an aluminum pony it is not 12lbs neg in the water even with the reg.

I almost always dive with a pony and do not normally try to distribute my weights in any special manner to offset the negative bouyancy of the pony. Maybe, it might be beneficial to offset the pony by 3 lbs on the opposing side.

If you have trouble with the trim, you might try tucking the pony as close to your back as possible

If your over weighted keep taking weight off, untill you've fixed that issue.

Then balance the pony with a three pound weight on the cam belt oposite the pony, worked for me, to balance out.

I've always slung mine like a stage bottle and have never had to add or subract weight, and never feel like I'm swimming off kilter. Weighing 12 lbs on the surface means nothing (thinks boats and ships-positive bouyancy). I don't think it's that much negative-maybe a pound or two. I am a couple of pounds overweighted with mine, but I'm too lazy to adjust my weights.

When diving and using a pony bottle (19cf), I sling the bottle off my side....I don't add or sub. wt.. This is very comfortable. There are several reasons not to mount your pony to your back gas tank,....but not wanting to steer from your org. question I will not expand on that. Good luck!

SO if the tank IS negative how much weight (lead) can you loose. Or, let me rephrase, if the tank is negative wouldn't you DEDUCT lead for the negativity of the pony and first stage and then, MOVE some weight to counterbalance the weight of the rig?

PLUS I'd like to know how negative a 19cf pony and first stage is...

Back
Top Bottom