Proper Weighting w/ Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannobee:
You *guess*? Have you ever even dove with a pony? Tell you what, throw your pony rig in the ocean and see how positive it is. None that I know of are positive.

Mine stays full, and I rarely use it, and when I do, it's only for drills. If the emergency ever arises, I'll deal with being a pound or two underweighted.

I meant when they are empty. My AL40 deco bottle gets maybe +2 when fullyempty and so a 19 or smaller should probably be less positive.

Only way to tell for sure is to get in the water and do a weight check. Anything else is guesswork.

I definitely want to gauge the negative buoyancy of my pony when full. I, like a few others here, will only use my pony in an OAS and when doing drills. That being the case, if I am using my pony, I am going to the surface too, so I do not really mind beinig underweighted as I use the air.

There happens to be a great article on proper weighting in ScubaDiving this month. I am going to try some experiments in my bath tub to get an idea first. After that, my brother and I are going to experiment with the techniques described in the magazine at the quarry in a few weeks. I will report back any interesting findings.

--Scott

OK. I decided to take a look on the web for some info. I found, on the luxfer Web site, the data I was looking for.

My tank is a 13 cu. ft. pony. According to their Web site it should be -1.71# buoyant when full, and -0.72 empty.

The scubadiving article puts a reg and console at 1-2 pounds negative. Since I have a reg and pressure guage on my pony, I am guessing another 1.5 negative.

If your curious, check out luxfer.com, go to scuba cylinders and the product specs.

--Scott

The luxfer page is a good starting point but you'll need to tune your setup, I found myself to negitive just using their numbers, with my new Luxfer al100. but it was alot larger tank :)

gee, I wonder if handing off you pony to your buddy changes anything?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom