Project Log: DIY Canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it puts out anywhere near 700 lum and holds up in the chamber, It will be well worth the time spent.

I promise I will post it and photos when I get done. If it works out that is..... :rofl3:

The P7 has a 700 lumen typical output at the rated 2.8A. if you drive it at 1A using the driver you linked to earlier, the P7 is going to give you roughly 300 or so lumens. Out the front end of the light-head, with an UltraClearLens, youll be getting about 80% of the light transmitted. This leaves roughly 240 lumens.

Im using this driver-
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=4338

to drive at the full 2.8A, and it is bright!

Well I have just done a test with 5aH LI Ion battery and found the current to the LED dropped bellow 2.5 amps with in 30 minutes. After 90 minutes total current had dropped to 1.6 amps.
3 Ni MH or 3 NiCd cells would have the same problem.

Bottom line if you want full power for the total burn time you need either 3 alkalines or 4 NiMh/NiCD.
Or a voltage booster driver.

I ran my maglight down at the beach for about 30 minutes to see how it would do,no over heating and no dimming in 30 minutes,i need to do a runtime test on it. I up using 3-6000 ma c cell batteries. The light is very bright,on par or brighter than a 10 watt mh light,I need to check it with a multimeter to see how much amperage I am running through it. Still need to build a cannister for my dive version.

Back
Top Bottom