Project Aware at Table Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip Parker:
Dewey Short was about 4' this weekend until you got down to 60', then it opened up quite a bit.

It's been bad there all summer, I dove Table Rock on probably 4 different occasions this summer (3 of those at Dewey Short) and the vis was terrible each time! It was pretty good last year, HOPEFULLY it will be better next year!

scububa:
FWIW, I dove Norfork in early Aug. and then again last weekend. The Aug dives were south end (Fireplace, etc.). Vis was decent (20'-30') below 40' or so. Last weekend dove the upper end (Henderson Bridge, Pinnacles) and the vis was poor (5') at most depths. Even from 70 to 90 around the Big E bluffs it got no better :-( Lots of pretty large particulate.

Wish I could get down there to meet some of you guys this weekend, but it is not in the cards...

How's that new gear working out Scububa? Sounds like you are breaking it in good!

Hope to see everyone tonight at Table Rock. Rock Lane resort Lobby/Bar at 8:00. I'll be wearing some sort of dive related t-shirt so hopefully I'll be easy to spot. Otherwise I just look at my profile I look the same except for the drysuit.

DrRobb

Tabasco1955:
How's that new gear working out Scububa? Sounds like you are breaking it in good!

Mike,
So far, I really like it. Diving a consistent set up is making things, well, much more consistent. (Duh) My trim and bouyancy are coming around.

I really like the wrist mounted computer and the ease of downloading it. It does alarm on ascents awfully easily. I am practicing slow horizontal ascents on most of my dives, now. While things are improving, those last few feet are difficult.

I do have to say I wish I had a real pocket on the BC. Given the harness/cumberbund setup I don't see an easy way to attach one. Guess I'll just have to get a drysuit with a thigh pocket, eh???

Anyway, thanks for asking...good diving to you this weekend.

Jim

How was Project Aware at Tablerock? I really wanted to go, but couldn't manage. What were conditions? How many people were there? Find anything cool? :06: If I couldn't be there, I'd like to a least live vicariously through others.

The vis was about 2-5 ft above the thermocline, it cleared up some below it of course, the trouble was, being in my 3 mil I tended to stay ABOVE it!

I never heard the official head count but I don't think there were many more than a hundren there, not near the turnout there was last year!

Never heard about anything really cool being found but maybe someone else has.

The "banquet" left something to be desired at $15 a pop!

But, there was good company, free air, free boat transportation, decent lodging, beautiful weather, and all for a good cause, I enjoyed it as always!

Tabasco1955:
The vis was about 2-5 ft above the thermocline, it cleared up some below it of course, the trouble was, being in my 3 mil I tended to stay ABOVE it!

I never heard the official head count but I don't think there were many more than a hundren there, not near the turnout there was last year!

Never heard about anything really cool being found but maybe someone else has.

The "banquet" left something to be desired at $15 a pop!

But, there was good company, free air, free boat transportation, decent lodging, beautiful weather, and all for a good cause, I enjoyed it as always!

Tabasco,
Glad to see you made it to Table Rock. Sorry I didn't get a chnce to meet you. i met weekendbum and his son and they met you on Friday nght. I agree the weather was great but the vis sucked until 40 ft. How was the night dive..... The $15 banquet ... I should have gone to McDonalds.. Theair and the boat rides were theright price and the chanceto meet other people in the area made itworth it and I'll definately be back next year.

DrRobb

DrRobb:
Tabasco,
Glad to see you made it to Table Rock. Sorry I didn't get a chnce to meet you. i met weekendbum and his son and they met you on Friday nght. I agree the weather was great but the vis sucked until 40 ft. How was the night dive..... The $15 banquet ... I should have gone to McDonalds.. Theair and the boat rides were theright price and the chanceto meet other people in the area made itworth it and I'll definately be back next year.

DrRobb

Hey DrRobb,

Ditto on the meeting, I hadn't seen your picture in your profile so I didn't know who to look for! I'm sure we saw each other somewhere in passing but just didn't know each other. I was sure we (MMD) were going to have that problem but that's the way it goes, too bad though, it was a great opportunity to actually get to meet the people we talk to online! I hung around the entrance to the lodge for a while at 8:00 but didn't really see anyone so we ended up going down on the strip and getting a bite to eat. I guess weekendbum was the only MMD I met there, but I did get to meet up with scubahawk Friday afternoon for a couple of dives. I didn't do any night dives, I think there were another group of MMD divers that were going to over by the dam though. I did a couple of day dives with scubahawk Friday, then 3 dives at the cleanup Saturday, then we headed out for Bull Shoals Sunday morning and did a couple more there before finally heading home Sunday afternoon. There are a few of us divers talking about hitting Oronogo before the weather turns bad, I have no idea when we can get together, I guess that will have to be decided yet. Think you might be interested in going along?

Mike

Tabasco1955:
Was there some sort of rescue training going on for the fire dept or .............? I noticed a LOT of vehicles, some with fire dept emblems on them.

Shoot, didn't know any of you were down there that weekend!

I was running the open water for our shop down there that weekend and saw all the rescue guys from the KC area doing their training. I had 10 open water students and 3 advance at Dewey Sunday. We dove by the state park Saturday morning.

Tabasco1955:
Hey DrRobb,

Ditto on the meeting, I hadn't seen your picture in your profile so I didn't know who to look for! I'm sure we saw each other somewhere in passing but just didn't know each other. I was sure we (MMD) were going to have that problem but that's the way it goes, too bad though, it was a great opportunity to actually get to meet the people we talk to online! I hung around the entrance to the lodge for a while at 8:00 but didn't really see anyone so we ended up going down on the strip and getting a bite to eat. I guess weekendbum was the only MMD I met there, but I did get to meet up with scubahawk Friday afternoon for a couple of dives. I didn't do any night dives, I think there were another group of MMD divers that were going to over by the dam though. I did a couple of day dives with scubahawk Friday, then 3 dives at the cleanup Saturday, then we headed out for Bull Shoals Sunday morning and did a couple more there before finally heading home Sunday afternoon. There are a few of us divers talking about hitting Oronogo before the weather turns bad, I have no idea when we can get together, I guess that will have to be decided yet. Think you might be interested in going along?

Mike

I'm up for whatever.. I've been wanting to try Oronogo. Just give me a little notice and I'll try to make it except October 16-23, I'll be in Bonaire.

Robb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom