Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the one pic Sea Rat attached of the Navy diver with straight tank on back with harness and simple breathing loop with J valve. What more do you need?
It seems this sort of functional simplicity is lost to most people and something a very small number of enthusiasts (like us) can understand and appreciate.
Why does it have to be so complicated these days? It worked fine then why couldn't it now?

Add: I was just watching a few vids of people using double hose regs from the Kracken vid posted above. I think the tanks in many of the vids are way too high.
I'm seeing the valves and reg right behind the divers heads and when the diver is in a horizontal position the reg mouth piece is directly below the reg can. The first stage needs to be much lower, a concept also lost on most modern day divers.

Add: I was just watching a few vids of people using double hose regs from the Kracken vid posted above. I think the tanks in many of the vids are way too high.
I'm seeing the valves and reg right behind the divers heads and when the diver is in a horizontal position the reg mouth piece is directly below the reg can. The first stage needs to be much lower, a concept also lost on most modern day divers.

Hopefully next time I post a video of Rob and I diving we will have figured out how to use a double hose.:rolleyes:

Hopefully next time I post a video of Rob and I diving we will have figured out how to use a double hose.:rolleyes:

maybe our overseas "friend" could extend some pointers too......:rofl3:

Sold out again. Last three going to Italy, Germany and Australia. :)
Argonaut Italy.jpg

very few one by one sales..Do not have series production ? I think very few requests .Be patient , the widespread when photographers want to have...

Luis,

I enjoyed your You Tube videos of flow rates for the Kraken Argonaut regulator. Years ago, I conducted a "study," which actually was using a screwdriver to depress the diaphragm of several regulators to get an absolute maximum flow rate on the surface for six of my regulators. This was not a venturi flow, but an absolute maximum I could get through the regulator as a valve and so cannot be directly compared to the flow rates on your You Tube video of the Kraken Argonaut.

This will give you a comparison with some old-time regulators.

Note that I have three regulators currently which will free-flow when an inhalation is initiated and my mouth is pulled away from the regulator. These are the AMF Trieste II (highly modified), Sportsways Hydro Twin (with USD hose/mouthpiece attached), and single stage Healthways Gold Label SCUBA (with the levers adjusted to max height and a USD hose/mouthpiece). One other, my Mossback Mark 3, will also free flow easily if I set the IP a bit higher that it currently is set.

SeaRat

Last edited:
And to get the thread back on topic for Friday.......A look at the exhaust can on the Argonaut Kraken showing improved flow design and mushroom style exhaust valve. No clumsy duckbills to mess with and almost zero maintenance.
20140405_114005.jpgDSCD.jpg

The exhaust effort, measured on my bench, surface conditions, is among the lowest I have measured of any type regulator. Once the loop is submerged in a typical swimming position the exhaust effort is extremely low.

N

And to get the thread back on topic for Friday.......A look at the exhaust can on the Argonaut Kraken showing improved flow design and mushroom style exhaust valve. No clumsy duckbills to mess with and almost zero maintenance.
View attachment 209952View attachment 209953

Such a simple, elegant solution. Wonder why the old double hose reg designers didn't think of this. (But I still think a chromed brass can is sexier.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom