Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I WILL have one of these some day. They're just too cool not to have around.

It seems to me that this new reg has made all the older double hoses irrelevant and obsolete.
If you had an old but restored DA Aquamaster, PDAAM, or a PRAM and a Kraken sitting on a table in front of you and you wanted to go a DH dive, which one would you choose?
That's my point, since these are available people will phase out the old stuff.

The excitement that comes with acquiring and servicing/restoring a vintage double hose regulator is only equaled by the enjoyment of diving it in it's original stripped down Man Fish configuration. Realizing once again that diving is about underwater discovery and freedom, not equipment acquisition.
In other sections of SB there are divers who have purchased the most modern and expensive gear available today only to dig up and service a MK5/109 and after diving it say to themselves "what a great regulator"
Most Argonaut Kraken owners have multiple double hose regulators and dive with it because it's an awesome regulator but don't see it as a replacement for their originals.

Though I only own a Kraken in regard to DH regs, I own and dive numerous modern and vintage single hose regs. Maybe some day I will add a vintage DH to the collection.

That being said, last night, the Kraken, rigged with an octo, an SPG, a wing & double tanks, and my dry suit, all came together for a nice dive...

The Kraken is much more quiet than a single hose regulator already. I have attempted various exhaust silencers and I know Luis is working on it. I understand and have myself observed that the bubbles tend to coalesce as they pass through the can holes. If, if, I had an extra, perhaps cosmetic defect top cover, I might would attempt to close the holes and re-drill with many holes at a #40 size. But Luis may and probably is out ahead on that.

James

Has anyone tried retro-fitting a fine sponge to the exhaust on the Kraken yet, to see how easy it is to get the virtual silence of a rebreather?

The Kraken is much more quiet than a single hose regulator already. But Luis may and probably is out ahead on that.

James

We have been working on this since day one. Nothing perfect yet but some promising ideas.

It is my belief that any exhaust side noise suppressor that could significantly reduce bubble noise or reduce bubble size such that the bubbles are absorbed into the water would have significant back pressure or be very large, larger than could be contained with a typical can design. Relocating the exhaust center from the center of the diaphragm also has ramifications as ideally for best performance, both need to share the same space virtually. Such a micro porous device or ceramic sponge would also have to be cleaned, hmmm.

On the inhalation side, the significant powerful Venturi the Kraken has designed into it also makes some noise. Certainly not the whoosh of a Mistral single stage dh regulator but there is noise. The plastic can I think reduces this somewhat, not sure though as I have not tested that side by side.

My point, the Kraken, as regulators go of any type, is a very quiet breathing machine. But to compare to a CCR which neither has an inhalation Venturi assist or exhaled free bubbles, that will be quite the trick. Can it be improved upon over the noise level now, yes, I think so.

I do find it easier to approach skittish critters with a DH regulator.

I love coming out of the water, as had happened now several times, and another diver tell me that the vintage effect is ruined by my carrying a digital camera! At which point, I can now ask, what exactly here is vintage? My fins are new, I dive a wing and plate that is new, my mask is new, my wetsuit is new, my spg is new, my Tekna knife is titanium, one of 56, my leg is titanium and my digital camera is the most vintage item I have on me, now in it's fifth year! This results in a blank, if not befuddled look.

Yes, indeed, for some divers, who are not interested in vintage equipment, there is a fully modern manufacture and design double hose regulator, the Kraken, no need to wear something old and something new anymore. And if you enjoy the simplicity of being a "man fish" then you can do that too with the Kraken.

But will I stop collecting, restoring and diving vintage equipment, of course not, that is a separate hobby. But, yes, for some people, the Kraken does obsolete that which was, uh, technically, according to some, already obsolete.

N

It seems to me that this new reg has made all the older double hoses irrelevant and obsolete.
If you had an old but restored DA Aquamaster, PDAAM, or a PRAM and a Kraken sitting on a table in front of you and you wanted to go a DH dive, which one would you choose?
That's my point, since these are available people will phase out the old stuff.

I agree with the comments above.

There will always be divers that like to dive the original gear in its original configuration. I own several divable DH in their original configuration (a couple actually still have a duckbill).
Some divers dive original regulators in all diving conditions. The Argonaut Kraken is not a replacement for that type of diver.

The Kraken is a very modern double hose (with a vintage style). It is ideal for photography, videography, or just getting closer to marine life… and it has a number of other benefits.

I have heard some comments about the Phoenix becoming totally obsolete with the Kraken, but it turns out that it hasn't. From my observation, there is still a specialized market for the Phoenix. For example, divers that have a DA or RAM that belonged to a family member (dad, grandfather, etc.) and they want to dive in a modern configuration.

A Phoenix conversion is also a great DIY project for someone that finds an old beat-up DA or RAM.

Last edited:
At least it should be available in every major country in the world to be the brand's regulator .. if only a USA ,reached small number of people limited number of production. If the order for the country and the person elected ,never be global if you choose country.
I think someone else should do marketing.
No matter how good a regulator or if the series reaches a small number of people in manufacturing. If no distrubutors in Europe Uses limited only person in USA. for example, for example, it should be understood and series production with Aqua Lung.
Nonetheless continued to plunge in the world with the French regulator, such as vintage and great pleasure majority areas.If I am looking for perfect regulator I use my APEKS XTX 200 . I want to dive with multiple output doublehos I use to Trieste VOIT.
The bubbles come in front of the eyes of the problem ,US Divers could not solves this problem with Mistral. extra features should be laid down for the preference in the world. It must be recognized in every country.Narrow with a view simply to satisfy a restricted person USA.
I am an engineer and bussines man, even if we accept the technical superiority I see commercial results. If you get angry with one person so it would not be a global embargo on a country ! If Kraken break depth record customer demands multiply..

I am not really involved in the business side (or official marketing) of the Argonaut Kraken, but as far as I know, it has been selling all over the world.

There are many Krakens that have been sold to Europe, Asia, Australia, etc. I don’t know any of the details, but I have received emails and PM with "thank you" notes and sometime questions from some of VDH customers from many parts of the world.

I just got a call a couple of days ago, on my cell phone (while I was at work), from a guy in Norway. Super nice guy, but what a surprise. He had some questions and I was able to answer him. The phone connection was not good, so it is a bit difficult to talk to him, but he is such a nice guy I had to help him.

Again, I do not know any of the specifics on the business side. I just design it as a hobby. And I truly enjoy diving it.

The regulator works fine at any depth. I have had mine just below 150 feet (using air). The regulator works fine with air much deeper than that, but I would recommend using Tri-mix for any deeper dives. Using Tri-mix/ helium and having a clear mind is a personal choice.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom