Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This photograph shows one of my NOS RAMs. This one displays the horseshoe lever and a duckbill exhaust valve. Two of the things I so do not miss on the Kraken.

DSCF0016.jpg

Oh boy, I got my Krakens last Summer, too late for my annual Florida adventure and so hardly have dived either of them. So, if all goes well, Kraken DD-6 will hit Caymans very soon. I think we need a DSV valve with a GoPro mount built in! Just throwing out some ideas for Luis, :wink:.

N

I have some stuff for you to try out in Cayman. You will see.

Yes, there is not much resemblance between the old Royal Aqua Master and the Argonaut. I did take the some of the best ideas out of it for a starting point, but the new second stage and housing are very different. The aerodynamics with the new second stage and case combination are very different.

The Argonaut innards for comparison to the RAM. You can see the large mushroom exhaust valve and the HPR second stage assembly as well as the flat center diaphragm. All very useful and compelling for actual diving, even if only by Caribbean Luxury Divers :) :

FullSizeRender_zpsiujf8g5d.jpg

And, why, here is a CLD right here, caught in his native environment preparing for a night dive bar side, Argonaut, mandatory equipment of course:

IMG_0816_zpsqlwe5qnx.jpg

Only thing missing is the Pina Coladas, no worries mates, they have been pre-ordered.

N

---------- Post added April 27th, 2015 at 07:35 PM ----------

If one looks closely you can see four different versions of Kraken mouthpieces, two are test pieces:

IMG_5132_zpsjjfmekvj.jpg

IMG_4850_zpsfb1ufigl.jpg

IMG_4778_zpshfllq2od.jpg

IMG_4600_zpsrojvaolb.jpg

And a passing nurse shark just cuz:

IMG_4591_zpslsz0c60r.jpg

N

Last edited:
Ft. Stark, Newcastle, NH
Water temperature 44F.

highres_437777866.jpeg

Heading back to the Caribbean sounds really good!
The cold is not too bad… It is the gear needed to stay warm… and the weight needed to sink it (in the ocean, salt water).

Yesterday I was trying a new dry-suit that I just inherit. It belonged to my high school dive buddy (Jim Louvau), who lost his fight with cancer last November. It was a new suit. He never got to use it. It is a great suit.

I also inherit his Argonaut. One of the original first four prototypes. He was one of the first four investors.

I will definitely be visible with this suit.

highres_437839591.jpeg

highres_437840420.jpeg

Here are some of the critters we saw, moon-snail, flounders, nudibranch, crabs, angry crabs, etc.
Water temperature was 45 F (7 C).

highres_437839601.jpeg

600_437840423.jpeg

highres_437839596.jpeg

highres_437839598.jpeg

highres_437839604.jpeg

highres_437839612.jpeg

highres_437839617.jpeg

600_437839619.jpeg

highres_437840426.jpeg

600_437839620.jpeg

600_437840425.jpeg

This is john. He was my dive buddy. He actually owns an Argonaut, but decided to try one of his single hose regulators today. How can he stand does bubbles? :)

600_437839593.jpeg

I never see my bubbles.
04.gif

600_437839605.jpeg

600_437839607.jpeg

It seems to me that this new reg has made all the older double hoses irrelevant and obsolete.
If you had an old but restored DA Aquamaster, PDAAM, or a PRAM and a Kraken sitting on a table in front of you and you wanted to go a DH dive, which one would you choose?
That's my point, since these are available people will phase out the old stuff.

It seems to me that this new reg has made all the older double hoses irrelevant and obsolete.
If you had an old but restored DA Aquamaster, PDAAM, or a PRAM and a Kraken sitting on a table in front of you and you wanted to go a DH dive, which one would you choose?

Well, I think there will always be collectors and people, including me, who enjoy diving the vintage gear in context. And, a PRAM/HPR is no slouch of a regulator (nor is it truly vintage). But it is true that for divers who need to conform to modern equipment standards while traveling/chartering or due to whatever constraints required upon them (even by themselves) for PRACTICAL diving, the Kraken is the winner for me. It's all around performance versatility and ability to interface with modern gear raises the double hose bar. It is a slick unit.

N

Obviously, they have been obsolete for some time but there are and I suspect always will be, those of us who still like to dive the old regs. Granted, for more serious diving or to make the dive ops happy the Kraken is a better choice. I admit I do dive mine quite a but a lot of that is pride. I had a good bit to do with it coming to life and like to show it off. That said, I will not be sending my DA, Mistral, RAM,50 Fathom (Faux unfortunately ) or Phoenix to ebay. They will all get dove at times. I also like to keep DHs in the public eye, the more people exposed to DH regs the more likely they will continue to grow in popularity, which I think is good for all of us who like the old style regs.

Back
Top Bottom