Progressive Penetration vs. Running a Line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some divers I am in favor of progressive penetration.

Unless you meant dives, then that is a very measured approach to dating...

I started penetrations before running a line was popular so progressive was the only way. Now, I use both, depending on the wreck. If it is a swim through, no line. If I can't see my alternate way out before I enter or if I am going more than one compartment in, I use a line.

You've not seen some of the women I've dated.... a line was definitely called for! :eyebrow:

Just avoid the temptation, but in moments of weakness always dive dry when doing any penetration. It's a good relief to not have the next eighteen years flash in front of you when laying the line. The next dive after the progressive exploration seams so commonplace the s@#$ will hit the fan.

If you want instant gratification run a line. In the past penetration was done only by a handful of squared away divers that researched and studied ship plans. Even then progression was done in short spurts memorizing all the exits and feathering through the wreck disturbing little to maintain visibility.

A better dive plan on a wreck is to enter one point and exit out another retrieving no line. Some lines have been strung improperly inside wrecks and slid into cracks leaving no return exit to the misfortune of the line runner. If you are gathering artifacts fumbling with a line can increase your stress and possibilities of entanglement. Plan your penetration well, whether you run a line or do progressive penetration. Review plans, have a clear objective, set up a entrance and exit point and use good control of your equipment, gas management, buoyancy and navigate well. Dive the outside of the wreck allot before you decide to do that first penetration, so that you understand the wreck layout and direction.

If you dive a wreck enough you should never have to run a line unless the visibility is near nil. The best rule for wreck navigation is: If you don't navigate real well don't navigate real far". The same is true for wreck penetration. Only instead of being lost outside, you may be lost inside. Wreck navigation is an art as is wreck penetration. Recognizing features, parts and machinery increases ones ability to determine what part of a large ship's debris field you are on. From there you can dive in short directions and begin to put together a larger puzzle of the balance of the ship. Certification does not qualify you to do wreck penetration. It will only help give you some guidelines. Every wreck is different and each has it's own unique hazards.

The biggest hazard I have encountered in wreck penetration is not getting lost but getting tangled or stuck on debris. Wrecks have many passages that are tight and full of cables, loose pipes, jagged metal and heavy mechanisms unstable from corrosion. There are no reasons to do a wreck penetration worth risking injury or death. As these wrecks continue to crumble the risk and hazards of wreck penetration magnify. Consider all your options and increase your experience to your maximum ability before doing a penetration.

Safe Wreck Diving!

I believe in progressive penetration... with a line. Never wander aimlessly depending solely on the line. It will hopefully be there if you need it but you should have a mental image of where you are and the path you took. If at any point you don't think you could find your way out without the line, you've gone too far.

If at any point you don't think you could find your way out without the line, you've gone too far.

I guess that depends entirely on the condition of the wreck you are diving. Heavy silt means a line. Heavy, lingering silt...on a deep, technical, wreck also means that numerous, progressive, penetration dives are not always an option.

For a recreational diver who just wants to 'nose around', then I agree... dives that must have a line are too dangerous.

However, for most recreational divers.... the use of a line is absolutely recommended. Wrecks kill over-confident and under-prepared divers. What is worse, is that under-trained divers can be oblivious to the risks until it is too late.

Another benefit of line penetration, is that rescuers can come to you. That can't happen with progressive penetration if you get lost or trapped.

I used to be in the "always run a line" camp, but I've backed off of that and will do "progressive penetration" as well. It's situation specific. Sometimes vis is excellent and silting is only a problem in some parts of the wreck. Sometimes you can hold a handrail all the way in the questionable areas or can swim a circuit back back to your origin if you're going around the engine.

yo

running a line in my opinion is the only way to go as progresive penetration will do you no good in a zero viz situation

greetings
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom