Professional Dive Boat - EPIC FAIL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$89 bucks for shore diving?????

So how do I get to your boat to mor row? I want to dive the back wall. :rofl3:

So we missed out on turtle riding at the Back Wall???
Now I am REALLY pissed!!!!
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Shaka Doug. If I get back to Maui I will look you up.
Obviously, when I refer to the "best boat" I am talking about yours.
03.gif

There were no reasonable reasons that we got a dive that didn't meet our expectations. That was the point of my original post. We didn't dive the Back Wall and ride the turtles because the crew prioritized the snorkeler. The Dive Master actually stated as much. "We can't dive those areas because we have a snorkeler on board and then she can't get in the water."

When we got back to the dock, I called the company's agent and described my displeasure. The company owner called me back and said that what happened was against company policy and that he would review those policies with his crew. His only offer to me was "try us again." There was no mention of a compensated do over. Now, with all the boats that go to Molokini, including Shaka Doug's, why would I throw more cash his way??? Besides, we were heading back to San Diego the next day, where we deep dive the cold and murky waters of the La Jolla and Scripps canyons - which have no turtles to ride.

I didn't post this with the intention of trashing someone's business. I thought I would share my bewilderment that a professional dive op with an experienced captain would pull such a stunt. After posting this, however, I do think I should get a refund. The company failed to abide by its own policies, and in doing so, breached its contract with us.

Last edited:
So we missed out on turtle riding at the Back Wall???
Now I am REALLY pissed!!!!
Thanks for the heads-up on this, Shaka Doug. If I get back to Maui I will look you up.
Obviously, when I refer to the "best boat" I am talking about yours.
03.gif

There were no reasonable reasons that we got a dive that didn't meet our expectations. That was the point of my original post. We didn't dive the Back Wall and ride the turtles because the crew prioritized the snorkeler. The Dive Master actually stated as much. "We can't dive those areas because we have a snorkeler on board and then she can't get in the water."

When we got back to the dock, I called the company's agent and described my displeasure. The company owner called me back and said that what happened was against company policy and that he would review those policies with his crew. His only offer to me was "try us again." There was no mention of a compensated do over. Now, with all the boats that go to Molokini, including Shaka Doug's, why would I throw more cash his way??? Besides, we were heading back to San Diego the next day, where we deep dive the cold and murky waters of the La Jolla and Scripps canyons - which have no turtles to ride.

I didn't post this with the intention of trashing someone's business. I thought I would share my bewilderment that a professional dive op with an experienced captain would pull such a stunt. After posting this, however, I do think I should get a refund. The company failed to abide by its own policies, and in doing so, breached its contract with us.

And still no names

Stanky, I'm glad to hear that you did contact them about this.

And I'm sorry to read that you weren't offered a voucher for another trip, or at least a discount or free tank rentals or something.

I'm not sure if it is against SB TOS to mention the dive op or not, but I'm making a bet that you'll never use their service again and certainly won't recommend it to others.

I'm not sure if it is against SB TOS to mention the dive op or not, but I'm making a bet that you'll never use their service again and certainly won't recommend it to others.

People post about dive ops with names all the time, give good and bad reviews, if you're going to go through the trouble of posting, name some names, others may be able dispute, or give reasons, or even may have been on the boat that day and had a great dive. Don't bash or give props to someone with out mentioning their name.

No offense, but I've been to Molokini before, and I thought the inside of the crater was great. The back wall is cool and different, but I couldn't say that it's "better" than the inside. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, I suppose.

If you're going to go on a boat and have a particular spot in mind, you need to check what sites they'll be diving before you go! There are plenty of reasons for a boat not to go somewhere, and while the one they gave you sounds pretty lame you can't always count on them to take you exactly where you want. Otherwise you'll end up being disappointed more often than not.

what is this? some kind of game?I find this story to be just that, a story. Without validated facts this is nothing but a fairytale.

Personally I didn't find the back wall of Molokini to be all that much better than anywhere else around Maui. Picking the cattle boat out of Lahaina didn't help much either, but the dive did have some supurb views horizontally along the wall that you usually don't see near shore or even in California. I thin the leaward side of Bird Rock at Caltalina Island is a better wall and you pretty much bottom out before you could possible hit 100 fsw which I thing makes it a little safer.

Some day if I get the chance to dive one of the wall/drift dives off one of the Caribian islands I may change my opinion completly, but until then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom