Professional athlete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brand0n:
There needs to be competition for it to be a sport

who do divers compete with ?
What are you talking about? There is tons of competition in diving.
There is the ever so popular PADI card collecting, stroke thrashing, brand bashing, Agency wrestling, ............ Yea, I guess you are right. Scuba is not a sport.

But ScubaBoard, now that’s a sport. :D

There are professional divers - those who get paid to dive (commercial and scientific) and for them, diving is not a sport. You get paid to instruct others to dive - in sports terms that makes you a coach.

Jackie

Thanks rapidiver. Just checked it out. I wouldn't of imagined people would have such strong feelings. It is an interesting question, i guess. I have alway concidered it a sport and was trained that way, but things were different 19 yrs ago. We(PADI) still used the navy tables back then. Thats one reason i like scubaboard, i learn something new every day i look at it.

By the way... ITS A SPORT among other things

but my original post was a little tongue n cheek and to get my wife involved a little. She is a new OW. and like to keep her excited about diving.

why do you non sports think its not? just the competition thing? check out a dictionary. I think it fits in the definitions as tim and others on the other thread pointed out.

Hoyden:
There are professional divers - those who get paid to dive (commercial and scientific) and for them, diving is not a sport. You get paid to instruct others to dive - in sports terms that makes you a coach.

Jackie

Ya. I knew that coach thing would come up. But never in a million year would i have ever concidered myself a pro athlete. It was just fun to play with.

Its a sport...:wink:

makomike:
Just wondering... I've been teasing my wife about this. I recently became a PADI Professional(an instructor)... and diving is a sport... on the next census or things of that sort... am I now a professional athlete:05:

Just wondering

I had posted a poll on weather scuba was a sport or hobby. I agree with you that it is a sport.

Well, there are diving records for depth in several categories (on air, mixed gas) and in cave penetration distance and I'm sure many others. In that regard, it is a sport.

Bratface:
I had posted a poll on weather scuba was a sport or hobby. I agree with you that it is a sport.

I just went through it. Good question!! I had always concidered it a sport. Didn't know there was a debate! Fun stuff!

bratface that pic looks just like my wife! funny

Looks like your wife? Ooooh, makomike, you had better make sure that she never sees that or you might not need a jock strap anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom