Proear2000 mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Rick,
Thank you for your kind words.
I guess you can sense some of the frustration we have when people fluff off the ProEar mask as a gimmick ("Call me closed minded... But it appears to be a gimmick...nice looking model though!..." by NetDoc at the top of this thread)

There are thousands of divers who are continuing to dive due to this mask and if you read the testimonials @ https://www.proear2000.com/pages/testimonials.asp
you can understand why we are proud with what we have created.

Merry Christmas to you
HMan

Hman,
Are you a member of DEMA? I think I recall seeing it there last January.

:gorgeous:

Natasha,
Indeed, actually haven't missed one since 1978.
Kinda strange this January without a DEMA to attend.
Happy New Year
HMan

In reference to previous statements of yours, you first say...

Originally posted by HMan
Your response to our product was not the first time we have had any criticism or suspicion, we have no problem with that and we are constantly looking for constructive criticism and new ideas.
and then you say…

I guess you can sense some of the frustration we have when people fluff off the ProEar mask as a gimmick ("Call me closed minded... But it appears to be a gimmick...nice looking model though!..." by NetDoc at the top of this thread)

Your continuing harassment of my opinion is casting severe doubt on the first statement. Your feelings have obviously been hurt and you do not believe that my opinion is valid, so please just "get over it". I do not intend to apologize for what I wrote. Unlike yourself, I have no ulterior motives in judging how it "looks" as I do not have a competing product, nor am I trying to sell this one. I am quite perplexed as to why you “fluff off” my opinion as being merely “flippant”. You are treating me as a villain in some old time movie flick. Maybe I should change my name to “NetDoc Dastardly”. This may come as surprise to you, but you have -NOT- been wronged, and I still feel your mask looks like a gimmick. You may change my opinion only by creating a product that I feel I could wear in public without being chastised or impugned by a large majority of divers.

For the record; UNLESS, I were to have a severe medical condition (which I do not) I would not want to wear your mask. It has no place in my gear bag. Now please, stop whining about my (to you) inconsequential opinion and start improving your product so that more people would want to use it.

Pete - in all fairness - if you looked like the models on their website- you could wear the ProEar2000 without fear of anyone looking at your mask <S>.

Honestly - I think they look pretty funky too, (I tried one on at my local LDS just for grins, and it was a little small for my face) but then again I have read a lot of posts here and elsewhere from foks who wouldn't be able to dive - at leats not comfortably - without this technology.

For 2002 let's resolve to adopt the QTIP philosphy (Quit Taking It Personally) on this board. I'm all for heated debates/discussions by knowledgeabe people who care about their sport - but too often I have seen these interactions get far too personal (for istance - anytime someone mentions DIR...)

Just my two cents.....

-Jim

I just hope to see my words quoted less often in such a disparaging way.

You are correct in that the original ProEar 2000 mask was based on the exact same mask skirt as the following masks:
Oceanic Xsite, Seac Extreme, Tusa Splendive 2 and Cressi Focus.

Hi HMan,

I recently saw one of your masks in in a shop while ona dive trip to Florida. I didn't think of it for my sister at the time, but this thread brought it back to my attention and got me to think more about it.

I just sent an e-mail to my sister about your mask design. She is deaf in her right ear due to bad ear infections as a teen. The end result of it all left her with some scar tissue inside the inner ear and a perferated eardrum.

Having grown up in Florida and Puerto Rico, she misses snorkeling and even swiming to any extent in the ocean terribly as she has been unable to deal with rapid pressure changes and doesn't want to risk more problems with her ear.

Every time I come back from a dive trip with pictures and videos of our dives she enjoys them alot but is also sad that she can't go herself.

I'm going to see her this weekend and as I use a cressi-focus I'll see how it fits her. If this can allow her to get back into the water after over 15 dry years, you and your company will have a fan/friend for life.

Dear Craig,
I have every belief that the ProEar will be good for your sister.
Please make sure that she tries it at least once in the pool to get the positioning and sealing just right.
You may want to try out the purpose designed ProEar hood as well for added protection.
You can also visit Dr. Bove's website at www.scubamed.com on his home page he has a link to diving with a perforated ear drum.
Please advise as to how it goes.
Good luck
HMan
fantasea@attglobal.net

I don't have any severe ear problems, but due to ear infections I had as a child, my ears are very sensitive. So far the ProEar has worked great for me.

As for the gimmicky look:
Frankly, there's nothing funnier looking than diving gear anyway, so I can't imagine why anyone would refuse to wear one just because it looks odd. What could a mask that covers your ears possibly look like that wouldn't look like some strange gimmick. I mean we have a tank on our back, a hose hanging out of our mouth and our feet look like they belong to a duck.

Hey, they work and that's all I really care about. I did buy the all black version. The black silicone seems to seal easier and even I must confess I preferred the look. I just need one of those special hoods now.

Two drawbacks I do feel a need to mention are with the ear cups themselves.
First, you will probably need to wear a second strap which goes over your head and keeps the cups from pulling on the mask. I'm having trouble finding the strap from ProEar, so I will probably make my own.
The second problem is that I couldn't wear them while taking classes because as you might imagine, you can't hear very well above water. It doesn't matter when diving, and I can tell the direction of sounds a little better under water, but you may want to consider a backup mask if you're taking a class.

Semianimus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom