ProEar Dive Mask - Ear Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparg93

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've spoken to one person directly and two others were word of mouth...but i hear this mask is pretty amazing in terms of ear protection....letting little to no water in and clearing is very easy once u get used to the mask.

http://www.proear2000.com/index.htm

Anyone have any experience or heard from others??

Also, anyone use those Doc ear plugs?

As I'm sure you can tell...i have some ear problems so i'm looking into options. I can equalize with no prob, but the cold water wreaks havoc on an ear drum that ruptured/healed about 4yrs ago due to a head injury (non diving).

Thanks!

I have a Pro-Ear and love it! When I started divingI had some ear issues to and the pro ear solved theprob. The issues resolved themselves since then but I still use it for cold water . Of course water in WI is never really warm to start with. Dont forget to get the pro ear hood as well, regular hoods dont work well.

Been diving with one for years. Absolutely love it. You will get a lot of funny looks and questions.

either of you utilize the hood they make to fit over the ear portion of the goggles for cold water dives?

the hood they make is actually a 2 layer hood. put the hood on and peel back the outer layer and your ears go through holes in the inner layer. put the mask on and get the hood to overlay the skirts on the mask and around the ear cups and the pull the outer layer back on over the earcups

I've used a Pro Ear mask for about 3 years now and am very happy with it.

I bought the Pro Ear hood, but found it a little cumbersome and the neck skirt was slightly short. What I finally did was to cut ear holes in a regular hood. You look goofy with just the hood on, your ears really stick out. I cut the ear holes slightly small so the hood material overlaps the skirt of the earcups. You have to pay attention not to lift the earcup skirt seal once you fit the hood over the earcup. The earcups provide insulation for the side of your head. You're also blowing warm air into the earcups for equalization, nice in cold water.

The way I measured the hood for the ear holes was to put the hood on; using a china marker (grease pencil) I marked my ear canals; then traced the edge of my ears on the hood. Do each ear separately, you might be lopsided. I then cut out one ear hole, just along the trace of my ear. Tried the mask on and eased the size of the ear hole to fit, yet slightly overlap the earcup skirt. Then I traced that onto the opposite side of the hood, centering it over the location of the ear canal.

Tubes connect the eye chamber with the earcups for equalization. You can clear a flooded earcup the same way you can clar the mask. Just press the upper part and pull out the bottom slightly. If you experience flooding it's either because you pinched a skirt edge over the hood, rolled a skirt edge or pulled a tube off its connection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom