Procedure for installing distance markers on a line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not Trolling!

Is this really in the D.I.R. forum? Is this the sort of "content" the mods of this forum are looking for? As well as the thread about how to scooter, real, compass, light as an individual, instead of relying on your team to distribute responsibilites?

:confused:

I have a question about a good protocol for installing distance markers on a line.

Here's the background: We sometimes dive in a local lake for fun and to practice. The bottom is generally flat, weedless deeper than 25 feet, silty and for most of the year the visibility is in the 10 to 20 foot range - in other words it's a typical northern inland lake. Scattered around the bottom of this lake are various largish items, such as sunken boats, car parts and sections of dock. We have run lines to many of these things, so we can find them again. Some of the lines are fairly long - more than 1000 feet. We decided to install line arrows on some of these lines with distance markings on them to give people an idea where they are and which way is home.

So, this is the method my buddy and I used to mark off the line. We used one of those 100 foot plastic tape measures that crank up to measure the distance. My buddy and I were on our scooters. We started off sticking together as a team. We tied the end of the tape to a point on the line, then reeled out the tape along the line until we reached 100 feet, then installed the line marker, then scootered back to the beginning of the tape measure and untied it, reeled it up, scootered back to the just-installed marker, and repeated the process. This lasted about one iteration, as it was a giant pain in the @$$ - both of us are going back and forth over the same 100 foot section three times to install one marker and be ready to start on the next one.

I already know we are going to hell, but what we ended up doing was this: One person held the end of the tape measure by the line while the other person scootered off along the line reeling out the tape. When the reeler reached 100 feet, the reeler gave two sharp tugs on the tape, to tell the person holding the end that the 100 foot distance had been reached. The person holding the end of the tape then scootered along the line pulling the end of the tape along. The reeler meanwhile installed the line arrow and waited for the person with the end of the tape. When the person with the end of the tape arrived at the new line arrow, we repeated the process.

Using the "go to hell" method we were able to go much faster and accomplished the tedious task of installing many line markers pretty quickly. Of course we were separated by 100 feet at maximum and out of sight from each other for the time it takes to scooter 200 feet or swim 100 feet. We have talked this over a few times because we are uncomfortable doing things this way. The "go to hell" method has the advantage of being efficient, but has the risk of being apart if (when?) something goes wrong. We consoled ourselves with the observation that 100 feet of separation is about the distance we covered in a no-mask, no-air separation drill we did in cave class. But still, there are obvious problems.

The one solution we came up with was to have two two-person teams do the installation. This works, but is so boring that it is hard to get anyone to participate.

So, my question is, is there a better method of marking off and installing the line markers using just two people?

This has already been covered to some extent, but the answer is just do it exactly the way a cave survey is done. Replace the old line with line that is knotted every ten feet. You can try to put a sharpie marker on every 100' line but this has mixed results. The reason for knotting every 10' is that you can then guess how much line you are losing to tie-offs, etc. Also, for pure distance markings I would probably use the round "cookies" rather than directional arrows.

It doesn't last because it gets destroyed but nahoch used to have a styro cup every 100' giving you the distance. It was really cool to scooter through and know exact distances. Not really necessary, but cool. There are still a few remants left.

As far as the measuring methods... what about using an alligator clip on the end of the tape... a sharp tug on the tape should release it... but then again the line might suffer from the tugging....

just a suggestion
Ben, I don't think that clipping to the line would work, but you've given me an idea.

We push lengths of pvc conduit into the bottom to hold up the line at the 100 foot markers. I'm going to try attaching a clothes-pin type clamp to the end of the tape and clip that to the pvc pipe. The team can reel out the tape, and then tug it loose from 100 feet away. The clothes-pin should be grippy enough to hold against the drag of the tape, but not so grippy that a sharp tug couldn't pull it loose. At least it sounds like it could work. Thanks!

Not Trolling!

Is this really in the D.I.R. forum? Is this the sort of "content" the mods of this forum are looking for? As well as the thread about how to scooter, real, compass, light as an individual, instead of relying on your team to distribute responsibilites?

Hey f,
I already know that the method I was using is not very good and that I'm too dumb to figure out a good answer on my own. I posted the question so smart guys like you could give me some help. Got any suggestions?

Also, for pure distance markings I would probably use the round "cookies" rather than directional arrows.
We went with arrows because people sometimes are just wandering around in the lake, and we wanted to point them "home" if they were lost. Why cookies instead?

We use the scooter/time method. When all geared up, we know the scooters are pulling us around 200ft/min. We will tie off the end of the reel and have one team scooter out, the second team will scooter for 30seconds and put in a stake, then scooter another 30secs and put in another and so on. Its not exact, but its damn close and works. We sometimes do it with a single team of 3, but its not quite as efficient.

We went with arrows because people sometimes are just wandering around in the lake, and we wanted to point them "home" if they were lost. Why cookies instead?

In a lake it really doesn't matter. But, the general rule is only put in permanent directional arrows if you know exactly what the closes "exit" is. It sounded like there were multiple interconnected lines. For pure distance info, refernce etc, use non-directional. If they can all point to the nearest "home" arrows are fine.

Hey f,
I already know that the method I was using is not very good and that I'm too dumb to figure out a good answer on my own. I posted the question so smart guys like you could give me some help. Got any suggestions?

Same reason the other thread exists... Maybe just maybe there's some smart person out there who's figured out a way everyone in the team can run the heading - since its a heck of alot straighter than way.

You can combine the knotting method (which is great for tactile use) with something I learned from some hot-s*** ROV operator. He marks his umbilical lines at length intervals using colored electrical tape, in a visual code he understands.

For example, a single blue band could signal 10 foot intervals, two blue bands equals 20 feet, yellow band 50 foot intervals, red 100 foot, etc... This way, anybody with a dive light who knows the "code" can figure out exactly how far they are on the line. I've adopted his method for use on underwater transect lines, and it's been a huge hit with both instructors and students.

The electrical tape holds up extraordinarily well.

Not Trolling!

You know, it might surprise some of you to discover that most of us have other jobs and do lots of other stuff than hang around on ScubaBoard waiting for something to moderate.

Holy Heart Attack.....ask your doctor if Paxil is right for you.

This thread has been moved to Basic Scuba Discussions.

There are many reasons to run lines in Scuba Diving.

Obviously, cave and wreck might be reasons, but rescue, search and recovery, navigation, crime scene investigation, public safety, archeological, biological studies, scientific diving, and other dive reasons as well also involve running line.

The thread was moved so the OP can (a) obtain answers from a wider spectrum of divers; and (b) because so many of the answers are not DIR and are therefore outside the DIR forum rules.

Thanks,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom