problem's with Z2 first stage leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Nelson

Contributor
Reaction score
I am having a small air leak coming from one of the holes in the rubber bushing on my z2 1st stage. Any idea whats wrong?

Attachments

• 20140105_083238.jpg
    20140105_083238.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 152
I am having a small air leak coming from one of the holes in the rubber bushing on my z2 1st stage. Any idea whats wrong?

Well, the smart-ass answer is "you have a leak" :cool:

The actual answer is that the first stage needs service.

There are a number of o-rings that make the reg work and keep the air from leaking out, and one or more is damaged.

If you have authorized Atomic service near you, they should be able to easily fix it, however you can also send it back to Atomic for service. They do an absolutely stellar job.

In either case, someone needs to fix it.

Thanks, is this a rebuild type of service or a quick fix? Tapped on cash right now but I need the regulator.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks, is this a rebuild type of service or a quick fix? Tapped on cash right now but I need the regulator.

It's a rebuild. Pretty much anything in your first stage is a rebuild.

Almost the entire service cost is labor for disassembley, parts replacement and cleaning. Very little is the actual parts. Once it's apart far enough to fix, there's no point in not doing the entire service kit.

Labor is usually around $25 and I believe the parts are about the same.

You mean you are seeing gas coming from the ambient chamber? (i.e. the rubber bushing is actually the trim rig around the middle of the regulator). That means either the o-ring on the piston is toast or more likely the the HP o-ring around the stem of the piston is toast. Both are easily replaced as part of regular service.

Another cause would be due to the intermediate pressure (IP) being really high. Also a sign that it is due for service.

My suggestion would be to take it in and have the IP checked. Of course having it set mean taking the reg apart so if that is the case might as well have it serviced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom