Problems with Kiteboarders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tvictory:
The entire economy of Bonaire is based on scuba tourism. Most kiteboarders are young males who can't afford to dive a lot, {SNIP}QUOTE]

really?

I thought the kite surfers mover to Atlantis because of local economic politics rather than incompatibility with windsurfers.

OK- so I swore to myself I was done with this as I have too much going on. But, warm water diver gives me too much material to leave alone.
1. Keep using ubiquitous and it may become part of your working vocabulary
2. I never said dive floats, I said floats/ markers. Markers (sausages) can be deployed while under water in order to let someone know you are surfacing
3. Since you besmearched (new word for you) my buying power, let me say that I spent more per day last year in Bonaire than your entire family did- and I was the poor guy on the trip. Get rid of the idea that kiters are college kids. Some are, but some are engineers, lawyers, doctors, pilots... As much as you think you spend on dive gear- try pricing kiting equipment... 2 kites, 1 board, harness, bar, wetsuit are easily $3000+ Not attainable on a ramen budget.
4. economies change- look into it.
5. I dove with a private operation and DM. But wait, I am just a poor kiteboarder- how can this be? Please see post 3.
6. In a quick search, I found many divers posting negatives about crime and losing their sunblock... On kite forums, and in magazines, I have never seen that level of negativity. Additionally, we never had a single problem. So, if divers are the source of their economy, and divers continuously malign (new word #3) local authorities with this conspiracy b.s., how safe of a bet is it for Bonaireans to rely on these same people for their economic well-being?
7.Their is a difference between laws and rules. Please see the difference between "robbery" and "running with scissors."
8. "Most Kiteboarders are young males who can't afford to dive alot." Tvictory- that just sounds stupid. I am 29, probably the 2nd youngest kiter in my area... And I can dive all that I want. By the way, how are you so experienced in the kiteboarder demographic? Additionally, please tell me you didnt just volunteer to pay more in "taxes." I guess I know how you vote too.
9. This is all the time I can gie you for fodder to toss around for a few days. By the way, for what it is worth, I love diving, divers... I just think you are exaggerating the risk.

kiteboarder:
OK- so I swore to myself I was done with this as I have too much going on. But, warm water diver gives me too much material to leave alone.
1. Keep using ubiquitous and it may become part of your working vocabulary
2. I never said dive floats, I said floats/ markers. Markers (sausages) can be deployed while under water in order to let someone know you are surfacing
3. Since you besmearched (new word for you) my buying power, let me say that I spent more per day last year in Bonaire than your entire family did- and I was the poor guy on the trip. Get rid of the idea that kiters are college kids. Some are, but some are engineers, lawyers, doctors, pilots... As much as you think you spend on dive gear- try pricing kiting equipment... 2 kites, 1 board, harness, bar, wetsuit are easily $3000+ Not attainable on a ramen budget.
4. economies change- look into it.
5. I dove with a private operation and DM. But wait, I am just a poor kiteboarder- how can this be? Please see post 3.
6. In a quick search, I found many divers posting negatives about crime and losing their sunblock... On kite forums, and in magazines, I have never seen that level of negativity. Additionally, we never had a single problem. So, if divers are the source of their economy, and divers continuously malign (new word #3) local authorities with this conspiracy b.s., how safe of a bet is it for Bonaireans to rely on these same people for their economic well-being?
7.Their is a difference between laws and rules. Please see the difference between "robbery" and "running with scissors."
8. "Most Kiteboarders are young males who can't afford to dive alot." Tvictory- that just sounds stupid. I am 29, probably the 2nd youngest kiter in my area... And I can dive all that I want. By the way, how are you so experienced in the kiteboarder demographic? Additionally, please tell me you didnt just volunteer to pay more in "taxes." I guess I know how you vote too.
9. This is all the time I can gie you for fodder to toss around for a few days. By the way, for what it is worth, I love diving, divers... I just think you are exaggerating the risk.

So your #3 is you're telling us the average kiteboarder contributes US$3000 per day to the Bonairean economy? That was my question, if you choose to look back. Your interpretations however are all your own, just like you putting the diver at 60 feet.

Sounds like Bonaire needs to run us divers off then! Good thing I've already decided to go elsewhere. Your post reminded me so much of Nikita Kruschev I just couldn't resist, with how the kiteboarders will outnumber us divers. You should be pleased you're already accomplishing this!

And, I didn't see if you said you would support a web cam system for rule breakers - of any sort - not specific to kiteboarders. But I'm intrigued by this conspiracy you mention. I've never heard of it. Might help the beach patrol to have more details. See post #9 on this thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=177579

I really don't get the 'running with scissors' vs. 'robbery' stuff - obviously running with scissors is likely to produce physical injury to the runner, or more importantly innocent others, where robbery is economic damage. So you're saying you support running with scissors? The companies I have worked for always set safety and environmental responsibility ahead of profitability, as one cannot be a good corporate citizen otherwise. You will very quickly be out of business - an unworkable economic model. How can one be a good individual citizen with the opposite focus?

Using an smb in Cozumel works (most of the time) because it is a known and frequently used method THERE. Most of the boats in Coz look out for smb's because they are commercial ops and use them themselves. In most other places smb's become target practice. Hey look at that cool orange thing! Lets go drive around it and pull on it and run it over! Yeah!!! That's the reality of an smb in many destinations. In Cape Anne a surface marker has become a way for Lobstermen to know where to drop crap on you for crying out loud!

I love to watch the kite boarders and I plan on doing it one day as well. But, i agree that eventually it will have to be done at very specific beaches ONLY because eventually somene will be hurt and it will most likely be the boarder's fault since the rules in Bonaire were written to protect divers and swimmers for the most part. As it stands now, Bonaire itself could end up being sued since it isn't enforcing the beach laws just by allowing the kiteboarding activity to go on at Atlantis. The laws are constantly being broken there according to the laws stated here on SB, assuming a kite boarder is considered a boat. Nothing will change until someone gets hurt and they are forced to change. Be safe all!

All that said, keep rocking the water kite boarders because I love to watch you all!

I doubt very much that the gov. of Bonaire will be sued..And if so I doubt it would be successful. However the kiteboarder if he is a U.S. citizen & if the injured diver is U.S. will definitely be sued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom