Problems uploading profile picture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the size of your picture? Avatars are size limited, so you may have to shrink the picture. For example, right click on my avatar and then click "properties". Mine s 100X77 and 21,287 bytes.

I don't remember what the max size is, but right click on some other peoples avatars and you'll get an idea of the size limitations.

Thank you! This helped me too. I was finally able to get my picture on here :)

What is the size of your picture? Avatars are size limited, so you may have to shrink the picture. For example, right click on my avatar and then click "properties". Mine s 100X77 and 21,287 bytes.

I don't remember what the max size is, but right click on some other peoples avatars and you'll get an idea of the size limitations.
That was true, long ago, not now. From http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_user_maintain#faq_vb_avatar_how
If you wish to use a custom avatar simply use the browse button to upload your image. You may upload any size of jpg or gif image. The software will resize the image if it's too big.

Hi, not sure if is the right place to post this, but i am having problems to upload my profile pictures. I ve tried many times day after day and nothing. Any idea about it??
Cheers
Sorry, nope - have no idea what you're trying to load, how you tried, what happened. Please give details. It's really pretty easy nowadays. Click my Username for the link to Private Message me if you'd like help.
Thank you! This helped me too. I was finally able to get my picture on here :)
Did you have problems? Looks good now. Your profile pic is kinda tiny, could be larger - since you have the great smile and DUI suit both to show off. :D

Hi, not sure if is the right place to post this, but i am having problems to upload my profile pictures. I ve tried many times day after day and nothing. Any idea about it??
Cheers
Let's be clear about what you're wanting to do.

Your Avatar picture is the one in all your posts and PM's. Mine is the shark in this post.
Your Profile picture is the one in your User Profile. You're only allowed one there. If you have multiple pictures you wish to upload they go in the Photogallery.

To upload a custom Avatar, click on your User CP, then click on Edit Avatar in the Your Settings box down the left side. Scroll down to the Use Custom Avatar box and click the Use Custom Avatar button.

Then scroll down to Option 2 and hit the Browse button. Select your Avatar photo/image from your computer and hit Save Changes.

You can also select one of our pre-defined Avatars in the box above.

To upload a Profile picture, click on your User CP, then click Edit Profile Picture in the Your Settings box down the left side. Scroll all the way down to Option 2 and hit the Browse button. Select the desired picture from your computer and hit Save Changes. The system will re-size your picture to fit as necessary. I think the size limits are something like 500 pixels in either direction for Profile Pictures.

To delete/change your Avatar just select a new picture or avatar. To delete your Profile picture click the box below it and hit Save changes.

If you need Photogallery upload instructions, PM or post a reply here.

Hummm.... I've been experimenting and can't get my big pics to upload and resize, but the small ones work.

Interesting...

EDIT: OK, this one worked. Started out as 1700X1400. But the origional that was 2560X1920 wouldn't load.
Sorry, I was talking about Avatars. My mistake. The thread was on Profile pics. As sjspeck suggested tho, these two are often confused so I'll address both more fully....

I just ran a few tests, and with JPEG pics, I was able to load huge ones into both Avatar and Profile changes. I used a 1620x2000 for Avi and it resized down to 125 max for Supporting member just fine. I used a 1500x2000 for Profile and it also resized automatically - with a 400 limit for Supporting member. Not sure what the limits are on Standard members, 100 max on Avi I think, but the auto sizing should work.

Contrary to what you read in FAQ, GIF pics do not auto size! I tried 1.03 Mb and 103 Kb GIF pics in both Avi and Profile pic loads and got error messages on all 4 tests - even the error messages are erroneous....

10sfwxc.jpg

2dkhaxj.jpg

But even tho the system did not give the correct size of the GIF pics I tried to use, it does seem that GIFs need to be resized to 48.8 Kb for Avatars and 97.7 for Profiles before they can be loaded. There may be more to all that, but the auto sizing does not work.

If a member tries to use another pic format, like Bitmap, TIFF, PNG, Raw, etc - I don't know, haven't tested those. I think the bottom line is...

Use JPEG pics, it'll work...!

Generally, it'd probly be best to use Paint program to change a pic of any other format to JPEG first, then load. If an antimated GIF is desired, I suppose these can be resized at GIFWorks.com! Free Online GIF Tools or - on Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket as the later does seem to have a functional resizing on antimated GIFs, even tho one has few choices on the limits.
:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom