Problems for a Kelp diver on a Caribbean dive,rental gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I will jump on the heap as well. Some of the things do not add up.

First off I think you learned a couple very valuable lessons. Things that are not easy to relearn and I consider life support = carry on luggage. All computers are a must as they are high risk of theft and I would not like to dive one that I am unfamiliar with. Also, If it is a dive vacation, you really need to have two unless you are willing to lose diving if one fails. Though I would not like to dive a rental mask or regs or any rental gear for that matter, I can dive them and feel comfortable (If I had to) in the recreational setting. Honestly my regs and computers are very heavy and also go carry on for weight considerations.

I really have to question what you say about your computer at home. You say that your computer is set for a 3 min safety stop unless you cross 100ft and then it switchs to 6 min? I have never heard of such a thing and would love to know what computer you dive at home. I think that is discussion number 1.

#2 - what computer did they rent you? As many people have said prior, no computer will lock you out for a violated safety stop. It is recommended but not required. This is what makes it a safety stop and not required deco. Computers handle safety stops differently. I have ones that rest the safety stop timer if you go below 30 feet again (possibly happened with your boyency issues). I also have ones that just pause the timer until I get back to what ever depth I have set as the safety stop. You had to have violated a assigned deco stop that the computer assigned for it to lock you out which you state it did. The stop may or may not be justified. Without knowing or reviewing the computer settings before the dive, you do not know what level of conservatism was set. Either way, you respect what it says and complete what ever deco it assigns or just do not dive it to begin with.
You said that your computer also Flashed or said "loc" on the screen during the first surface interval. Did you computer function at all during the second dive? If you violated an assigned deco stop on the first dive, at best it should have been in gauge mode during the second dive. It would not have excused this to allow a second dive

The divemasters are correct that you should have sat out until computer cleared you. You also had other options that may or may not been available. You could have downloaded the dives to a computer to be reviewed to make your case or review the settings on your computer. Either way, the correct action is to sit out 24hrs min.

I will admit that I have had a dive computer be all screwed up because I did not review its settings before a dive. I had to send my atom 2 back to the company because the transmitter flooded. They also asked for the computer to be sent as well in case my assessment of the large amount of water in the transmitter was in correct. They agreed it was the transmitter, replaced it and sent it all back. It never even occurred to me that they would have messed with my computer. I dove it without rechecking all the settings. Turns out they restored the computer to factory settings that really messed up my second dive.

You have unfortunately learned who ends up suffering when things go wrong. It is always you. If the airline looses your gear, you loose dives. Yes the shop should have oriented you to the computer, but you should have also insisted on it. In the end, you are the one who suffers and loses dives. These are the reason you learn to ensure that everything is correct and as YOU want it personally. If a charter says they will have tanks waiting for me on the boat, I make a point to see and touch them before we leave. I do not let others pack or assemble my gear. I will not let anyone elses mistakes cost me my dive. Even if it is "their" fault, it is your dive.

Jimmy

Hey guys reading this I'm going-Yup I becha anything this person dives steel tank at home and the rental tank is ally.
But like has been said it sounds like they got into a deco stop not a safety stop.

"I'm a Fish!" is over 5,000 dives. Something is confusing here?

Speculation: there could have been some faster-than-recommended ascents here, and that could have contributed to the computer's warnings. And just like you would not expect a tropical diver to jump in to a kelp dive without checking out gear and weight before the dive, the reverse holds true too. New and unfamiliar dive conditions warrant a check-out, even if they seem to be easier conditions.

"I'm a Fish!" is over 5,000 dives. Something is confusing here?

I think that some people put that or "i Just do not log dives" or what ever it says because they do not want to be judged by the number or dives they have and would rather people listen to what they have to say. By putting that they feel that they are not lying. Besides, there is a 5000 - infinity setting.

I'm a fish or I just do not log dives should not imply anything other than the fact the poster does not want to disclose their number of dives or has not kept track. Nothing more or less.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2012 at 09:06 AM ----------

I will also say that on a recent dive in Florida, I was not diving my dry suit like normal and a switch from fresh to salt. I asked the DM for advice of weight. I had planned on doing a boyency check. Turns out there was a little current and we had to do a negative entry. So I took there advice and added 5 pounds. I can compensate for being to heavy during a dive. There is little you can do when underweight. If I have to error, error heavy. But that is just my opinion.

I think that some people put that or "i Just do not log dives" or what ever it says because they do not want to be judged by the number or dives they have and would rather people listen to what they have to say. By putting that they feel that they are not lying. Besides, there is a 5000 - infinity setting.

I'm a fish or I just do not log dives should not imply anything other than the fact the poster does not want to disclose their number of dives or has not kept track. Nothing more or less.
Maybe so, but then this was posted in Advanced while the mistakes seem pretty elementary.

He summary suggestions are pretty valid, altho learning a rental computer on site is not really likely. I've been known to strap my secondary dive computer to a boat pick bud's BC so that I can check it - easier than teaching it to someone without a manual. His first mistake was putting his in checked luggage instead of his roll-on or personal bag; I carry 60# of essentials that way and my own dive computers certainly are.

Seems like his other big problem was changing saltwater weighting from a 7 mil to no suit, plus a lighter BC perhaps. That's a big change if not thought out well, which I guess he tried and missed.

He summary suggestions are pretty valid, altho learning a rental computer on site is not really likely. I've been known to strap my secondary dive computer to a boat pick bud's BC so that I can check it - easier than teaching it to someone without a manual. His first mistake was putting his in checked luggage instead of his roll-on or personal bag; I carry 60# of essentials that way and my own dive computers certainly are.

Seems like his other big problem was changing saltwater weighting from a 7 mil to no suit, plus a lighter BC perhaps. That's a big change if not thought out well, which I guess he tried and missed.

I agree with the underlined part, Hence why I make a point to always have mine or take WHAT EVER time is required to feel comfortable. Would you splash with an Air2 or some other device you did know how to work? What if someone loaned you a backup light on a night dive. I would make sure I know how to turn it on. I know you understand what I am talking about and agree.

to the second bolded portion = WOW, you are much nicer to your buddies than I am, but then again I am probably just a gasshole. If you bounce into deco and do not know it, that is not my problem. Maybe I am just way off on that.

Jimmy

to the second bolded portion = WOW, you are much nicer to your buddies than I am, but then again I am probably just a gasshole. If you bounce into deco and do not know it, that is not my problem. Maybe I am just way off on that.
Well, buddies are responsible for each other. I carry my own pony, but I still want to know what a bud's air is now and then, and N2 loading. I got my second one after an experience with a boat pick bud with a rental computer who was clueless about what it said, so at least I am reading one that I know well when I read his.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom