Problems Equalizing during OW Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking for some advice. I was supposed to complete my Open Water dives this past weekend. On my very first descent I got down maybe 10-15 feet, couldn't equalize with Valsalva, and my ear pain was increasing. I went back to the surface, still had a hard time equalizing/popping my ears, and my instructor called off the rest of the dives for me that weekend.

I've been trying to research on techniques to equalize. Just practicing, I can only Valsalva my right ear. I wouldn't consider my nose stuffy then or now, but the left side of my nose generally has less air flow. I can really feel the Toynbee in my left ear, and it usually takes me opening my jaw really wide and swallowing to get the pressure back to normal. Would just swallowing alone be enough to equalize under pressure?

Would you recommend trying to see a doctor at this point? If it's this hard for to equalize on dry land, would it even be worth trying to dive again until I can figure out why I'm having a hard time? I experimented with some Afrin, which does make my left nostril easier to breathe through, but it doesn't allow me to Valsalva any easier.

Thanks for the help!

I just did my OW cert in Jamaica last month and ran into this same issue on my first open water dive. I found valsalva alone didn't clear my left ear unless I blew really hard (which worried me), and moving my jaw and swallowing didn't do much at all. I went home after the first dive very discouraged, while I did complete the dive I was worried about deeper dives and equalizing in the future. I read online about mixing the two techniques and swallowing while doing valsalva and it turned out to be very effective for me. Try it on dry land and see if you can really feel the change in your ears, if it has a strong effect on land you can bet it will be fairly effective when equalizing.

Here you go:

It's a long video but well worth it.

If you don't have the patience for the long lead-in, check around 19 minutes. :cool:

Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

I just went with my son (14) to do his dives at a warm inland pond/crater. We had both been quite sick w/ cold 3 weeks prior. He likely had some remnant of congestion (he's 14 so he pleasantly denied it).

First dive he took about 15 minutes to equalize on a down line (very controlled depth). The DM was very good and worked with him, i left after a few as I didn't want to be a distraction, but they worked up and down that line at the 5-10 ft depths untill he cleared (10-15 min). Once he got past the 10-14 ft range he was fine, went to 20 and did all the skills and the swim around. Not much trouble 2nd dive that day.

Next day, same issue. This time I worked with him. At 8-10 ft, going down a few inches back up.. etc untill he cleared (and or was comfortable), again seemed like 10-15 min. Then cleared and completed all skills and 2 dives went to 40 feet at one point with no issues.

Each person is different, but it is definitely a skill that needs to be developed and everyone is different, my right ear is always my more difficult ear. (Maybe we have small eustation (sp) tubes.) I am happy we were in a controlled environment, and likely would not have succeeded with other distractions (and day 1 was effectively a private session).

Not a bad idea to get checked out, I did go to ear Dr. due to my right ear (also have some hearing loss in that ear)... and I checked out, (although I don't think they can't see your eustation tube).

Barring any physical condition it is a skill and muscle training that takes longer for some than others; if we were in a group on day 1 he would have not gotten through it. You could practice in a pool, although not as well as in deeper environment. We likely need to find a place to practice as well.

Bob in CO

There are 2 different techniques for equalizing. These are the Valsalva and Frenzel methods. The Valsalva method involves you blocking your nasal passage by pinching your nose and blowing against it. The 2nd is the Frenzel method which involves you using your throat muscles to compress air against your blocked nose (basically swallowing). I find using a mixture of the techniques works for me but as you dive more you will find equalization coming easier to you. The best piece of advice I can give is to practice, practice, practice.

Remember that you want to equalize before you feel discomfort. If you can't equalize then slowly ascend towards the surface and try again. Never force an equalization as this can lead to rupture. Sometimes if you descend too far without equalizing the increased pressure between your middle ear and the gas in your throat may cause your ear tubes to shut, thus making equalization impossible.

take drugs and don't force

---------- Post added February 20th, 2013 at 05:22 PM ----------

hum when you frenzel to hear your tubs open on dry land to develop mussel memery

Flots Am,

That video was great! Thank you! It should be required viewing for all new divers :)

Blocked Eustachian is most of the times the reason, consult your doc is what i would advice, if you force it, you could end up with rupture and in some cases permanent damage to your ear drums would result

Blocked Eustachian is most of the times the reason, consult your doc is what i would advice, if you force it, you could end up with rupture and in some cases permanent damage to your ear drums would result

As a diving instructor, I agree with Divejones. You need to go see a ENT. I have issues also clearing one of my ears and I do some things that have been cleared through a doc. If you push it, you will rupture an ear drum or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom