"problem with drysuit attached boot."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

Have a question for you all ... I just bought a drysuit and love it . The only problem i'm having is that the attached boots are a bit wide, but the length seems to be okay. I find myself in the pool when kicking "it feel like" my boots want to come off. My
instructor told me that alot of air is entering them and causing my feet to rise. I seem to not control the situation and want to kick down.
This is the first time for me diving in a drysuit and maybe it might be me. It's new territory for me folks.
My instructor told me to add multi layers of insulated booties to take up space to solve the problem.
I don't know if that would solve the problem.
The size boot that i have is a size 11 to 12 inch, and i wear a 10 1/2 boot. The manufacture next size down is a 10 inch and is to narrow. { to much restrictions with foot garments}
The width is the problem and i was wandering if i should find another manufacturer size boot that is less wide and find some company to reattach them or do what my instructor recommended.

I want to say that i use ankel straps to help keep the air out and it helped somewhat but did not completely slove the problem.

Any adivce would be great appreciated....
Safe diving to you all.... :wink:

There are a couple of things you can do... the first is to get as much air out of the suit as possible. First time drysuit users tend to keep too much air in the suit; the suit squeeze is just something you get used to, don't try to inflate it away.
Some folks will use ankle weights, but it's better to keep the lead off the feet & slide the weight belt lower down onto the butt. Use suspenders if you have to.
Another thing you can do to take up some extra room in the boots is to use felt inserts. You may be able to get away with a snowmobile boot liner or maybe just a felt sole.
The last is much more drastic in that it involves getting an elephant to step on your foot... :eek:ut:

1. Tighten your fin straps.

2. If you are getting air in your feet, consider gaitors (sp?). They wrap around your calves and inhibit the flow of air to the feet.

I use them with my trilam. The work well.

Why should my feet be flopping around in massive rubber things, ricochetting off the sides?

I have the same problem you do. The boots on the new drysuit I bought give me a bad case of clown feet. I wear two pair of heavy socks and I still have these huge, bouyant air pockets at the end of my ankles. I suppose I could take up the extra space by wrapping my feet with duct tape or wearing multiple pairs of fluffy booties, but why should I? My feet aren't cold, even in 43 degree water. I don't need more insulation. And I sure as h@** don't need air-filled flotation pockets where my feet should be.

I think I have learned the hard way that attached rubber boots are a huge waste of money, especially for a woman like me with skinny feet. Rock boots or rubber socks that I could stuff into ordinary booties would be better.

Good advice and will consider all options. Will half to check into see about picking up a pair of felt inserts bob.

Gators are another options that i will see about getting a pair.Was wondering though, what department would they come under down at leisure pro?

I didn't think i would have any problem with the suit. Have supenders and when walking they "boots" did not flope.
I have a narrow heel and was noticing the heel of the boot being pretty wide and thats probably the problem.

Ravinpool, you hit the dam nail square on the head.. Both of us probably should have gone with the rubber socks and rock boots.
Thanks all..........

I've tried addiing surf socks to keep my feet warm and take up some of the space in my Viking. But my feet sweat in them.
Then my feet get cold and they stink too.
The boots are size 13 , while I wear a size 10 1/2 shoe.

What does work for me is felt boot liners.
The type you can get for snowmobile boots. They are warm, comfortable , my feet breath in them and my fins feel nice and secure over my dry suit boots.

best regards

MikeD

:blfish:

Thanks mike:

Was wondering though... Did you have any trouble installing them into your boots and did you just leave them in their, instead of putting them on before entering the suit.
Did this solve most of the air problems and were the felt liners size 13".....
Safe diving to ya:
Sam...:wink:

I don't know where leisure pro would have them as I won't buy online (too many bad experiences).

These should be a stock item at a Halcyon dealer. Is there one near you?

Garefish (SAM)asked:

1) "Did you have any trouble installing them into your boots "........ No. the easiest method is to slip them on your feet first then, just pull your suit on afterwards.

2) "did you just leave them in there"..... If I'm through diving for the day yes, but I take them out to air at home, hotel or camp sight. Puting them back on is tricky if you leave them in the boots. The top of the liner can flop over making it a feel around job with your toes trying to find the opening.

3)"were the felt liners size 13"..... I have a wide foot, noramlly a size 11 liner would do, but I use a size 12. The felt is about 1/4 inch thick (6 mm), I always got cold feet when diving, so I wanted a little extra room for a thick sock. My feet are warm now.

4)"Did this solve most of the air problems ",..... yes, I left the liners about 10 inches tall, and wear 2 lb ankle weights. The ankle wieghts pull the suit in snug around the liners and reduces any sloppiness

best regards

Mike D

Here's what they look like, when on.

Miked

Back
Top Bottom